Author Topic: Tool windows don't work (Linux)  (Read 907 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Tool windows don't work (Linux)
« on: March 14, 2023, 08:36:25 PM »
Tool windows don't allow keyboard or mouse interaction.  They can't be typed in nor any selections with the mouse.  If the main SE window is moved, the tool window moves along with it, but it can't be moved on its own.  All other windows work fine.

SlickEdit Pro 2022 for Linux (v27.0.1.0 64-bit Qt4)

Serial number: VLX_TRIAL
License type: Trial
License expiration: 2023-03-28 20:00:00
License file: /home/benner10/slickedit/bin/slickedit.lic

Build Date: December 7, 2022
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Kernel Level: 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2
Build Version: #1 SMP Fri Jan 27 02:56:13 UTC 2023
Processor Architecture: x86_64

X Server Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
Window Manager: Weston WM
Display manager: Unknown

Memory: 23% Load, 3516MB/14662MB Virtual
Shell Information: "/home/benner10/slickedit/bin/secsh" -i
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Single file project - Gnuc
Language: .cpp (C/C++)
Encoding: UTF-8, no signature

Installation Directory: /home/benner10/slickedit/
Configuration Directory: /home/benner10/.slickedit/27.0.1/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 02:32:34 PM by jorick »

jorick

Re: Tool windows don't work (Linux)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »
The Find and Replace dialog box doesn't respond either.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 12:14:06 PM »
Does this also happen if you start the editor with a default configuration?

Is the options dialog active?  This should not affect tool windows, but when you have the options dialog open to the Toolbar Customization page, the toolbars are switched to a special state for adding and moving toolbar icons.  Go to Tools > Options... and hit Close on the options dialog.

jorick

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 02:58:25 PM »
I assume that starting the editor for the first time after installing starts with a default configuration.  If so, yes, it happens.

The Options dialog is unaffected, and I can move the window and change the options with no problem.  Toolbars work fine, as well as being able to move icons into and out of toolbars and setting up custom icons.  However, if a tool window is open (such as Find and Replace) while the Options window is open to the Toolbar Customization page, the tool window is still not responding, even after I hit Close.

I don't know if you noticed in the SlickEdit information, but I'm running SE on WSL2.

Dennis

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 03:05:11 PM »
To start the editor with a default configuration, from the shell:
Code: [Select]
{slickedit_install_dir}/vs +new -sc /tmp/defcon1
That tells SlickEdit to start a new instance and create a new configuration directory under /tmp.

I did not notice that you were using it on WSL.  That may be relevant.  You could also download the Qt5 version and see if that works better under WSL.

jorick

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 08:25:04 PM »
The default configuration didn't work.

The Qt5 version worked a little bit.  I opened the Find and Replace window but nothing showed up until I clicked on the SE main window.  There was a cursor in the Search For text area and I was able to type in it and hit Enter to perform the search or Esc to close the window, but the rest of the box didn't respond.  Clicking anywhere outside the window disabled the text area and I had to close the window by going into Options->Tool Windows and unclicking the Visible box.

Dennis

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 09:12:14 PM »
Do you have better luck with the tool windows if they are docked?  For the Find and Replace tool window, you may need to go to Options > Tool Windows and enable docking for it. 

Also, is the host machine using scaling or native resolution for all your monitors?

jorick

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 02:56:36 PM »
Qt5 version: Docking sometimes docks the window.  The window appears to work fine.  But this is a one-time only thing.  If docking is disabled for a window, the window can never be docked again and will remain undocked and unresponsive if made visible and docked.
Regular version: Docking does nothing.  The tool window stays where it's at and is still unresponsive.  I don't know if it will do the same thing as the Qt5 version.  Nothing is docked whereas the Qt5 version had 5 windows docked by default.

Native resolution, no scaling.

Dennis

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »
Sorry, could you clarify what you are seeing here:

If docking is disabled for a window, the window can never be docked again and will remain undocked and unresponsive if made visible and docked.

Do you mean that you can not access the tool window menu to make it dockable?

Both the Qt4 and Qt5 builds should start out with the same set of tool windows docked by default -- in a clean default configuration.

jorick

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 08:16:31 PM »
Docking can be enabled or disabled only in Tools->Options->Appearance->Tool Windows.  The tool window menu can't be accessed because the tool window ignores the mouse.

After installation, the Qt4 version had no docked tool windows but the Qt5 version did.

Dennis

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 09:51:17 PM »
If I can find time next week to test SlickEdit with WSL, I'll give it a shot.  No promises.  This is an untested configuration, but we did have users who tried it with earlier versions of WSL that relied in the MingW X-server.

Dennis

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 11:50:26 PM »
I tested on WSL today.  The Qt5 version works better than the Qt4 version, but floating tool windows are still unresponsive to the mouse.  This looks like a coordinate mapping issue with the window manager under WSL.  SlickEdit is not alone with this problem.  I confirmed it also happens in the help viewer (which uses Qt assistant).  It has been reported with other applications, including Eclipse (https://github.com/microsoft/wslg/issues/1012).  A workaround is to setup a full X11 desktop environment by installing an X11 server such as VcXsrv.  There are plenty of tutorials online for how to configure this with WSL.