Author Topic: Slickedit 27.0.2 Fails to Insall or Run on Fedora 38  (Read 574 times)

edtyler

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Slickedit 27.0.2 Fails to Insall or Run on Fedora 38
« on: June 06, 2023, 04:33:02 PM »
Hi,

I am bringing up a new development workstation running Fedora 38 with Gnome 44. It uses an AMD7950X with 128GB RAM.

vsinst hung when it would normally pop up a licence dialog. Trying to start Slickedit using  /opt/slickedit-pro2022/bin/vs_exe +new -mdihide -p lmw
hangs polling for something on file descriptor 3:
poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=6, events=POLLIN}, {fd=7, events=POLLIN}], 3, 0) = 0 (Timeout)
recvmsg(6, {msg_namelen=0}, 0)          = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
recvmsg(6, {msg_namelen=0}, 0)          = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Slickedit 27.0.2 Fails to Insall or Run on Fedora 38
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 10:59:30 PM »
Not sure what's going on. Try manually installing a license file in your slickedit/bin installation directory so the license manager does not need to be displayed.

edtyler

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 06:56:48 PM »
Well, placing the slickedit.lic file in the bin directory worked and I can now run Slickedit. Still, it makes me wonder what other issues this may cause.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 11:12:13 AM »
One thing we've seen in the past is that the graphical license manager will fail to run on some setups because using certain XWindows extensions are disallowed by the policy manager when running as root.  I don't think that's the case here, because when that happens there will be some X error messages on the terminal you ran the installer from.

It also sounds similar to a problem we had in the past with certain window managers.  It was never an issue with GNOME, and it was fixed for openbox and the openbox derivatives we saw it with, so I'm not sure it fits here either. 

If you run into a problem where a dialog doesn't come up while editing, I've attached a script that can collect some information about the windows that may help pin down what's happening.  If you run the script from a terminal, it will generate a file called /tmp/xwi_capture.txt, and you can post it and send it in, and we'll take a look.  I believe it works well enough on Wayland sessions with XWayland, but I'll double check that later this morning. 

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 12:44:44 PM »
It might be instructive to test if the Qt5 version of the installer would work for you out of the box.
http://support.slickedit.com/outbound/2702/se_27000200_linux64qt5.tar.gz