Author Topic: New Project Creation - Improvements with alternate directories and multi-monitor  (Read 1163 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
I cannot check SE .vpj & .vpw files into our software repository (primarily because non-SE users don't want the files there). If I delete the directory for a hail-Mary cleanup or go to another PC, I will lose the project files. Therefore, I created the directory C:\SE_wkspc_pjt\... to keep my projects in. There are couple of problems with this:

1) If I move project that was created in a source code development directory, it breaks the project. It cannot find the files. This makes sense because it uses relative path information. However, there is no way to "re-point" it to the correct directory. I think of the scenario with VMWare (VirtualBox?) where it asks you if the existing/known VM was moved to this directory. If the answer is yes, the corrections are made automatically.

2) If I create the project in the C:\SE_wkspc_pjt\... directory, it keeps pointing me back to this directory when adding files. I have to navigate to the source code directory several times. This navigations is mitigated because I use Add Tree for the lions-share of the files. But, it is still an annoyance. An improvement would be that once the user navigates to a source code directory, that it remembers this directory and starts there on subsequent file-adds. Basically, sort-of an update to the current working directory.

3) When working with mulitiple monitors, the subsequent dialogs in the project creation process do not appear on the monitor the user is working from. Instead, the dialogs pop-up on the primary monitor. For reference, I am working with the integrated laptop monitory and 2 additional monitors. The laptop is the right-most monitor due to furniture constraints.

4) Also, the first File Open/Browse For Files takes me to the C:\SE_wkspc_pjt\... directory which is not useful. However, once I open a file from the project directory, the Browse operation remembers. Therefore, subsequent file opens point to a useful directory.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 05:46:54 PM by JimmieC »

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
2) If I create the project in the C:\SE_wkspc_pjt\... directory, it keeps pointing me back to this directory when adding files.

In project properties, on the 'Directories' tab, do you specify the root source directory as 'Working directory'?