Author Topic: v28 hotfix webpage disappeared  (Read 2671 times)

joecar

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
  • engineer/gearhead
v28 hotfix webpage disappeared
« on: January 26, 2024, 05:15:58 PM »
v28 hotfix webpage disappeared.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: v28 hotfix webpage disappeared
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 06:28:06 PM »
Hot fixes for 28.0.0 were rolled into the new 28.0.1 installer. Download 28.0.1 and install it.

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 09:11:37 PM »
This is only one of the annoyances associated with the new SE website (well, maybe not just the website).

1. How could you allow a website transition that lost all customer accounts, logins, history, etc. (and apparently even some of your codebase -- cmake anyone)?

2. The 28.0.1 release announcement on the forum does not include a link to the download page.

3. Using Google Drive (ugh, how unprofessional for you to chose that as a distribution mechanism) is not allowed at the company that I work for, so it appears that I will have to download at home and bring the files to work on a USB drive.  Not cool.

4. I tried to download 28.0.1 this morning but the zip file (ugh, again, why would you distribute via zip file?) contained two Linux versions of 28.0.1 and an "other" folder which contained the Windows 28.0.6 msi file.  Seriously?  Since when is Windows classified as "other"?  Why should I have to download two versions for Linux when all I want is the Windows version?  Plus, the Windows installer wasn't even for the right version.  Also, where are the Mac installers?  Is Mac even more "other"?

5. As of this afternoon, it appears that the Google Drive folder has been updated to include the correct version of the Windows installer and also Mac installers.  Downloadable separately.  Progress? 

However...

6. Now we also have a different "other" folder (now not inside a zip file this time) that appears to contain hotfixes for 28.0.1 (two already in 5 days?), and a ssh.zip file (god knows who that is intended for).

7. The apparently new hotfixes in the poorly named "other" folder have not been announced on the forum.  Seems there is a link on the website, though, to a Hotfixes folder on Google Drive.  How does that relate to the hotfixes in the "other" subfolder of the v28 download folder? 

8. How are we supposed to know what are the real, tested, official file(s) to download for any version, platform, update, etc.?  Can we even trust any files downloaded from Google Drive (apparently my company doesn't think so)?  Previously we were downloading from inside the slickedit.com domain after logging in with our Slickedit account which indicated (or so we assumed) that we were getting official, tested, products.  Now, who knows?  Who has access to some seemingly randomly named page on Google Drive (e.g., "https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U25I61854XkwcJS-cEJh7jy7yOq4-xxx", slightly redacted).  Anyone with a Google account (i.e., everyone)?  Can we trust "read only access" for those who are not SE developers?  Anyone here heard of configuration management/control or data security?

We paid for this software and have been continuing to pay (maintenance) for a lot of years, happily (speaking for myself, of course).  Somehow things seem to have fallen apart recently.

I'm a huge SE fan for a LOT of years, Couldn't tell you how many now, since my SE website account has been destroyed, along with a significant amount of my trust.  [
Edit: Forum member since early 2007.]

At least the forum still works (knock on wood).

Hoping to see improvements, clarifications, and corrections soon.

Best regards,
Les

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 09:26:19 PM by LBCEi »

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 11:01:09 PM »
Well obviously slickedit has been going through some, probably traumatic, downsizing recently so I suspect we should be glad it is still being maintained.

The "other" folder has some legacy files, you shouldn't need to go in there.  Maybe the parent folder was in a state of transition when you accessed it.  Hotfixes you can find by following the links here
https://www.slickedit.com/hotfixes
Hotfix 3 is there
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ptM_fhfP2eMTMj8BbvyzVwX7fZyMSRV6

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 11:10:38 PM by Graeme »

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 02:16:04 AM »

@Graeme:  I hope you are wrong about "traumatic" issues at SE.

@Clark and SE team: please take my "annoyance" list as constructive criticisms.  I've depended on SE for a long time to make my living and hope to continue doing so.

If the company is in a difficult situation, I sincerely hope that the situation changes for the better. (FYI: annoying your loyal customers isn't the way to make that happen).

Nevertheless, I would appreciate it if you would provide answers/responses for my list of issues.

The product and the support via the forum have been exceptional.  Please don't let the website transition torpedo the trust that your customers have in you.  I, for one, don't trust Google Drive as a distribution source for trustworthy software.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 02:21:14 AM by LBCEi »

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 06:27:55 PM »
When I try to download hotfix 11 Drive says "download quota exceeded".

How do I get past this?

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 08:35:56 PM »
according to google search this is a temporary limit and you just need to try again, because it's a shared service they limit the download rate sometimes.

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 02:04:10 AM »
v28 hotfix link disappeared from https://www.slickedit.com/hotfixes

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530