Author Topic: SlickEdit can't write gvfs files  (Read 1442 times)

MikeW_CA

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit can't write gvfs files
« on: March 30, 2024, 01:53:36 PM »
I am using SlickEdit Pro 2021 (v26.0.3.1 64-bit Qt4) on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS.  I have files shared via samba/cifs mounted via gvfs.  They are read/write for my user, and they are writable in the standard text editor gedit.  The files open for read OK in SlickEdit, but if I try to save one, I get
"Unable to save /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=vault,share=share/myfolder/myfile.txt
Error opening file"
I suspected that the ':' '=', and/or ',' in the filename were a problem for the local filesystem on which SlickEdit is saving history, but I was able to touch smb-share:server=vault,share=share rm touch smb-share:server=vault,share=share in my home directory so that's not it.  Still, I suspect there's something about those peculiar characters in the path name that's causing trouble for vs, since it complains about an error _opening_ the file.  Has this ever been reported, addressed, or fixed?  Is there any interest in doing so?
Thanks.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: SlickEdit can't write gvfs files
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 02:13:02 PM »
Problem is definitely not the characters in the filename. You can create a local directory with these characters and edit and save files from it.

Try this command from the Slickedit command line:

Code: [Select]
save +o
The above command saves the current file without creating a backup. Sometimes backups can't be written depending on the backup options. If the above command succeeds, you can exclude this mount point from being backed up here: Tools>Options>File Options>Backup>Excludes (add "/run/user/1000/gvfs/").

If turning off backups doesn't help, invoke this command from the SlickEdit command line:

Code: [Select]
save +x
This saves the current file with debug output turned on. Give the debug window focus, press Ctrl+C to copy the output to the clipboard, and post the debug messages here.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 02:41:53 PM by Clark »