Author Topic: Problem updating project using Subversion with SlickEdit 12.0.2 on Linux  (Read 9134 times)

davidr

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hi,

I'm experiencing some problems updating a project against/from the latest version in the repository.

Problem #1

Sometime when I choose Tools > Version Control > Compare Project with Subversion, SlickEdit hangs. SlickEdit displays a progress bar along with a message that it is trying to communicate with Subversion, but the progress bar never finishes. To use SlickEdit again, I need to restart my computer.

Problem #2

I choose Tools > Version Control > Compare Project with Subversion, which displays a list of the files in my project which require updating, as well as the files in the repository that aren't currently in my working copy. If I choose a file that is in the repository but not in my working copy and click update, SlickEdit informs me that it needs to update the entire trunk (project directory) to get the file. However, clicking OK does not appear to do anything. The file is not added to my working copy, and none of the other files in the project directory are updated.

I'm pretty sure that its not a problem with my repository or Subversion as I've been able to update, commit, check out files, etc. in the shell just fine.

Thanks,

David

Kohei

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 25
When SlickEdit hangs, could you open up your process monitor[1] with process dependency turned on and see if the 'vs' process is blocking on any child process (presumably 'svn') ? 

[1] gnome-system-monitor is what I use.

mikeberg

I have run into the same problems when using Subversion with SlickEdit in Linux.

When SlickEdit hangs on an update, it seems to be waiting on a shell: "-bin/tcsh -i". Doing a kill -9 on the tcsh process will free up SlickEdit and allow it to continue as normal.
*This just happened to me again, so I was able to get the process name*

I see the "update the entire trunk (project directory)" message at times, too. Usually when 5 - 10 or more files need updating. Clicking "no" and "yes" do the same action: nothing. I have to do an svn up from the console to update when this happens.

Also, is there any way to resolve a conflict from within SlickEdit? I haven't seen any way to, so I have to keep going back to the console.

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:51:11 pm by mikeberg »

mikeberg

*bump*

Does anyone have any more information about the subversion functionality, regarding these issues, in SlickEdit?

Ivan N. Zlatev

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Re: Problem updating project using Subversion with SlickEdit 12.0.2 on Linux
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:13:48 am »
I am getting those issues too. 12.0.3 on Linux

Kohei

• Hero Points: 25
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:36:01 pm »
It may not help much, but the last time I checked, there was an issue with SlickEdit's Subversion support when the svn command asks for user interaction, such as passphrase in case of ssh tunneling.  SlickEdit couldn't see that svn was blocking on user input, and failed to prompt the user.

If it's just passphrase, you can use ssh-add from the terminal to work around this problem, so that svn no longer asks for a passphrase.

gagu

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:02:42 am »
I have exactly the same problems (#1 and #2) as described above.
I'm running slickedit Version 12.0.3 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4.
Has anyone found a solution? Is this issue being worked on?

thanks

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 128
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 04:13:51 pm »
I think Kohei is probably right about what is going on.

What kind of authentication does this repository use?

gagu

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:35:23 am »
I am running the repository on httpd apache

My Location in httpd.conf:
<Location /svn>
  DAV svn
  SVNPath /svn
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Subversion repository"
  AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file
  Require valid-user
</Location>

Ivan N. Zlatev

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 12:36:34 pm »
I am also using a http:// accessed subversion repository with a password and username (which I do not have to input in order to commit).

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 07:09:30 pm »
This appears to be an http related issue, and that machine is down right now.  I am trying to revive it so I can reproduce this.  I am unable to reproduce it using an svn server.

tgulick

• Community Member
Also seen on 12.0.3 on FC7, SVN 1.4.4 using Apache

I can make a "compare with subversion" work if I close my .process buffer ( a TCSH process)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
There was a hotfix that helped with this problem.  Do you have the most up to date hotfixes?

Ivan N. Zlatev

• Community Member
I am using rev31 of the hotfixes for 12.0.3 and the problem is still present

tgulick

• Community Member
I'm using Hotfix Rev 35 and I still have the issue.

The hotfix for SVN was to resolve the issue about getting a password.

The issue I'm seeing is that the .tcsh process used for the .process buffer seems to block the whatever thread is doing the svn repository access.

The workaround is to close your .process buffer before you try to "compare with subversion".