Author Topic: Preview stops working MAC O/S SE V28  (Read 1600 times)

rajkej

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
Preview stops working MAC O/S SE V28
« on: April 01, 2024, 11:40:35 PM »
I have the SE V28.0.1 installed on Mac O/S with hotfix 18 (side note: you stopped publishing email/forum notifications of hotfixes. I see hotfix 20 is available but I don't know what is in it until I can download and install it. I can't download and install at my work without getting IT involved because it is on dropbox so it takes my IT group a while. I don't know if hotfix 20 might fix this or not).

What happens is that preview won't update the symbol under cursor after running for a while, meaning an hour or two. Then I have to move my cursor to a blank space, get preview to reset, then move my cursor to the symbol for it to update. Or I can restart SE and then it works again for about an hour or so. Sometimes it gets so bad that preview won't update for a very long time. In that case I have to restart SlickEdit. That happens about once every other day for me.

What can I do to help debug this when I get into a bad state?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Preview stops working MAC O/S SE V28
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 01:43:45 AM »
I'm wonder if you're getting a Slick-C stack which is stopping the main timer. Check your config directory for vsstack.log (<configdir>/logs/vsstack.log). It will have time stamps on stacks. If you are getting Slick-C stacks, post your vsstack.log.

rajkej

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 01:40:24 PM »
Hi Clark. Thanks for the reply. On my system I don't see any vsstack.log files in ~/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/28.0.1/logs

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 05:03:14 PM »
28.0.2 will be ready in the next couple weeks. Let's see if that helps any.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 10:18:57 PM »
Something that helps sometimes is to delete the state file (with slick closed) - then restart and slick will regenerate it.  Not sure which files to delete on MAC though.  See "state file" in the help.

If the problem doesn't go away, check if it happens with all projects or just one particular project.

rajkej

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 05:50:46 PM »
Hi Graeme,

Thank you for the information. Deleting the .sta file did not help. I still have the issue.

The problem happens in the two projects of mine I am currently active with. Both projects have some shared source code (My company's shared code as well as Linux O/S header files from GNU C++). I have tried deleting the projects and re-creating them. I have tried not generating references in the tag files as well.

I'm not sure starting SE with a default configuration would work for me. I could go back to a default configuration except for all of my key bindings. I really can't be effective without my particular key bindings. I'm not sure I could make enough keystrokes to survive until the issue happens. I usually see the issue after a few hours of using the editor and editing for a few hours with the wrong key bindings isn't something I would consider pleasant.

I'll give 28.0.2 a try and keep restarting SE a few times a day meanwhile unless somebody comes up with an experiment to try.

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 10:46:57 PM »
Slick does let you export and import just your keybindings.  There's actually two ways to do that  - using the import export buttons in the keybindings dialog or use "setup export groups" in the main import export in the options dialog.

When the preview window takes a long time to update you could try enabling profiling for a minute or so - in the macro menu -> slick C profiler.  Post the result here.  You could also try closing and re-opening the preview window.  Does the preview window take a long time to update if you hover over something in the defs or bookmarks tool-windows?  Also, search for "preview" in the options dialog and try changing some of the settings.

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 10:48:15 PM »
Also, of course you could go back to the version of slick before the one that first had this problem.