Author Topic: Search Dialog Disappeared Today  (Read 2822 times)

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Search Dialog Disappeared Today
« on: April 04, 2024, 03:59:13 PM »
I'm a long time Slick user.  I'm running v26 and my machine was recently (a week ago) updated to Win11.  Today the search tool window disappeared.   Normally I command ctrl-F and get the mini search window.  I press ctrl-F again and I get the full search tool.  But the full search tool doesn't open.  If I change the options to default to the tool window then search doesn't open anything.  I tried creating a new config and project but no joy yet. 
Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions short of a full reinstall?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Search Dialog Disappeared Today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 04:08:25 PM »
Try a default config:

vs -sc c:\temp\new-configdir

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 04:42:43 PM »
Indeed, I tried that earlier and I tried it again.  No search dialog.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 04:55:39 PM »
What if you try Search>Find in Files...? Is the multi-file find dialog visible?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 05:29:30 PM by Clark »

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 05:49:26 PM »
Big clue:  I have two monitors, normally configured to extend the display.  The laptop is 1080p and the big one is 4k.  The dialog is showing up somewhere off screen.  If I pull the HDMI cable, or configure to use only one monitor it's visible.  But when I plug in the HDMI cable the search box is nowhere to be found.  At least I can keep working this way.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 06:22:50 PM »
That was going to be my next question. This is clearly a multi-monitor problem.

Please post your Help>About SlickEdit... information. This will give us info on your monitor configuration.

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 08:57:19 PM »
Here's the info (attached file).  Though after running for a few hours on one monitor, now I go back to the dual config and it works again.  Mystery problem disappeared.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 11:05:00 PM »
Please try these steps:

* Start SlickEdit with a clean config: vs -sc c:\temp\new-configdir
* Now open the Find and Replace like this: View>Tool Windows>Find and Replace

Can you see the Find and Replace tool window?

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 02:18:32 PM »
I did exactly that when the problem was reproducible.  Apparently the dialog was off screen.  Having reconfigured to a single (large, 4k) screen, and then back to dual screen, I can no longer duplicate.  I suspect it could be related to having two different sized screens.  Thinking about it, it may also be related to disconnecting the big screen to go into a meeting and then coming back and plugging in HDMI again.  At present, I'm happy to have a work-around:  drop down to the single large screen, as that gets the dialog back.  It remains good when I subsequently reenable the dual screens.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 03:16:44 PM »
The steps I listed are different.

After launching SlickEdit with a clean config,
try to bring up the Find and Replace dialog via the "View>Tool Windows" and NOT "Search>..." or another way.

View>Tool Windows>Find and Replace

I checked the various ways to bring up the Find and Replace tool window the first time. Using "View>Tool Windows" uses different code and may work on your problematic multi-monitor configuration.

In any case, it sounds like you've got a work around.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 03:18:48 PM by Clark »

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 03:40:09 PM »
It happened again, so maybe I can provide another data point or two.  If I configure the display to be "only on 2" (the larger), then the search tool is on screen.  I can then go back to "extend" and see the search tool.
In the new config, the search tool was on screen.  So it was not duplicating today.
In the bad case, the "find and replace" tool was checked and I could not get it to uncheck.  Selecting there tops it but that doesn't help when it's off screen.
This never happened on Win10, so I'm guessing something about Win11 lets it happen.  But it doesn't always happen.  It may also have something to do with hibernation.  I hibernate using PsShutdown64 -h, from the Sysinternals package.  Maybe it moves off screen when I hibernate with it open?  I haven't confirmed that.
Anyway, there's a work around, so I'm fine and I hope this report can prove helpful at some point.