Author Topic: Migrating SE to a new PC  (Read 5084 times)

cbretteville

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Migrating SE to a new PC
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
Probably covered before, but I can't find anything that covers this (docs, FAQ, board):

I've got a new PC and would like to migrate my SE environment to that without having to customize everything from scratch. What do I bring over. Being a recent convert from CodeWrite I haven't done this exercise with SE. Whats the procedure?

Thanks,
- Carl

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Migrating SE to a new PC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »
The brute force method works best.
Transfer the complete install dir and the config dir to the new machine.
See Help>About where these dirs are located.
Note that the location of the new config could be different. In that case sync the contents.

There might be less space/time consuming ways of doing so, but this might require some more manual work.
However, if you didn't mess around with the product sources and just changed some configuration the standard way, it should be enough to transfer the config dir. You should omit the (big) *.vtg files (tagfiles) if existing there.
They get rebuilt on the new machine automatically.

Edit: First of all you should install SE on the new machine that all system related stuff (PATH, SendTo, etc) is setup properly.

Good luck,
HS2
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:24:24 AM by hs2 »

StephenW

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:47:41 PM »
If your drive letters are the same, then you can just copy things.  If not, then there is more work to do.

All the project and workspace files (*.vpj, *.vpw, *.vpwhist) are actually editable text files - just use SlickEdit to edit them and change the drive letters wherever you find them.  I am not sure if you need to retag the source files if you change drive letters - I think you do not have to, but it is a while since I last did this.  But if you follow hs2's advice and do not copy the *.vtg tag files, they will be recreated automatically.

In the config directory (<bootdrive>:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\12.0.2), check all the *.ini files for drive letter changes, and vrestore.slk, filepos.slk, and vusrdefs.e.  If you want to use SlickEdit to edit those files, you need to copy them to another directory first (with SlickEdit shut down), so you are not editing files that are open and in use.  The vslick.sta file also has lots of drive letter references, and there is probably no reasonable way to just edit them (the file is huge and binary), although you could try - SlickEdit is actually quite good at editing text in binary files, as long as you remember to put it in overwrite mode instead of insert mode.  But if you just do not copy that file, and delete (or rename) the one that is created by the install of SlickEdit on the new PC, then it will be recreated.  You will lose a little of your setup by doing that, but I did not find it much of a problem.  I am trying to remember just what was involved there - I think it might be global variable settings.

If you have any macros of your own (I store mine in a "custom" directory at the same level as the 12.0.2 directory), check all of them for drive letters too.

cbretteville

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Good input guys, thanks!
- Carl