Author Topic: SlickEdit doesn't save setting immediately  (Read 3977 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 15
SlickEdit doesn't save setting immediately
« on: August 15, 2007, 01:30:27 pm »
I'm evaluating SlickEdit for my use within my company.  I'm using version 12.0.2.0 Demo.

I made quite a few changes to the options yesterday, but when I came in this morning, I found that Windows Update had rebooted my computer and SlickEdit lost all the changes.

I tried setting some options and then forcibly unloading SlickEdit using the Task Manager and found that all changes were lost.

How do I set SlickEdit to immediately save my settings after I make them?  I couldn't find anything in the documentation that addresses this issue.

I leave my work computer on all the time to avoid the startup wait in the morning, which is usually around 10 minutes but has been as long as an hour.  The system occasionally reboots when updates come in from Microsoft, or the network administrator wants to remotely install software.  My programmer's editor (currently Codewright) stays open all the time.  I require an editor that will save settings immediately when I click "OK" so I don't have to worry about saving them by hand (which I also couldn't find how to do in the documentation).  If SlickEdit can't do this, I will have to abandon SlickEdit and continue my search for a Codewright replacement.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: SlickEdit doesn't save setting immediately
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:53:05 pm »
You can do save_config from the SlickEdit command line to manually save your configuration at any time.  Does that help?

- Ryan

jorick

Re: SlickEdit doesn't save settings immediately
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:55:56 pm »
Not really.  I need SlickEdit to save my settings as soon as I click OK in the options dialog box.  Saving the settings needs to be completely transparent to the user.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 03:13:54 pm »
Ok...jump to _as_callback (fp _as_callback on the command line), and go down to line 160.  Right above this code (this should be the start of all the calls to update various tool windows and such), add the following block:

Code: [Select]
if(_config_modify_flags()){
   save_config();
}

Then load this module (F12).  This will save the configuration, if necessary, on the autosave timer.  Basically, as soon as you hit Ok on the options dialog, the configuration will be saved.  I will file a feature request to make this an option.  Let me know if this gets you where you need to be.

- Ryan

jorick

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:34:02 pm »
This is exactly what I need!  Thanks!

rfb

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:10:47 pm »
I will file a feature request to make this an option. 

- Ryan

Does this need to be an option rather than default behaviour?

Would anyone expect/require changes to config not be automatically saved?
I was astounded to read this thread and discover that setting were not saved until shutdown

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 09:25:07 pm »
It should definitely be an option.

I don't mind if it becomes the default, but it should be an option.

It is very useful with SlickEdit that you can rollback configuration changes, using safe-exit.

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

hs2

• Hero Points: 281
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:32:08 pm »
I agree with John.
Sometimes I just don't want that the config is saved e.g. when testing different configs or when I accidentally did sth. wrong and the config got damaged.
HS2

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:39:01 pm »
It will be an option, and it will most likely be off by default. Hopefully this will satisfy everyone :).

- Ryan

hs2

• Hero Points: 281
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 09:48:33 pm »
Yep - at least me :) - HS2