Author Topic: Apple has 91% of market for $1,000+ PCs, says NPD  (Read 7235 times)

magpie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5

MartyL

• Hero Points: 29
  • Synergex
Re: Apple has 91% of market for $1,000+ PCs, says NPD
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:10:37 PM »
I would just like to point out that the article indicates that the overall Mac market share is less than 10%.

While I agree that it would be nice to have a native version of SlickEdit on each platform, it's not a small task. I would much rather see improvements in the existing product instead of the Slick team spending an undefined span of time trying to produce native clients.

garion911

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 05:20:02 AM »
Does it really matter the overall PC vs Mac? Wouldn't a better number be developers on PC vs Mac? I'm on a Mac, running the Mac version of Slick, but develop for Linux. Several others in my company (though no one else running slick, yet) do the same thing..

With Mac having Vmware and Parallels, and the ability to cleanly (well, mostly cleanly), to run X for remote Linux development, Macs are almost the perfect dev machines, since they handle all 3 major OS's cleanly. No more dual/triple booting booting, multiple machines, etc..

All that said, the current Slick is 'good enough' for me. I have to run X anyways for the software I develop.. The only annoying this is the copy/paste between Slick and OSX.. I do drool at the thought of what Slick -could- be under native OSX though. Imagine being able to hook into the new services stuff in Snow Leopard, and the script/editing power of Slick.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »
I've been looking around the new Automator-based services functionality in Snow Leopard. I'm hoping to put together a couple simple ones, like "Send selected text to SlickEdit as a new file" or "Insert selected text in SlickEdit's current file". Not sure I'll be able to go the other way with X11 standing between SE and the system. We'll see...
It'll mean some changes to the native "shim" launcher app, but I've gotta work on that anyway to make it an async progress dialog (instead of the current "go modal then disappear" when it prompts to build the font caches.)

rajkej

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:35:51 AM »
I'll volunteer to test your insert selected text into SE. Post something here once you get it working!

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »
I actually wrote this up as a how-to blog post. It just got published today: http://blog.slickedit.com/2009/09/automating-slickedit-with-snow-leopard-services/

greggman

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »
The current slickedit is NOT good enough for me on OSX. None of the OS integration works. Drag and Drop don't work. The menus are in the wrong place for a mac. I'm sure someone who has a longer experience than me with OSX could name 100+ ways that it sucks to use slickedit on a Mac. Give me a native version PLEASE! The market for slickedit on OSX has got to be bigger than the market for slickedit on unix/linux if only because mac developers are more likely to buy software.

As for Apple has 91% of market for 1000+ PCs, isn't that kind of like saying Ferrari has 91% of the market for $300k+ cars? The world has moved on, few people are buying $1000+ PCs when a $600 PC will do just fine for most people.

lclevesy

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Thank you for your interest in SlickEdit offering a native Mac version. We are excited to announce that native Mac support will be offered in 2012. View the announcement here: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=7110.0.