Author Topic: Microsoft QBASIC / FreeBasic tagging of "Type"  (Read 5374 times)

okania

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Microsoft QBASIC / FreeBasic tagging of "Type"
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:31:43 PM »
I found that the tagging definitions for ".bas" files are in "msqbas.e". I think that
makes Visual-Slickedit "QBASIC-Compatible", which makes it FreeBasic compatible.
What i am missing is an inclusion of types in the tagging mechanism. Visual slickedit recognizes the syntax. When I write "type" it automatically inserts end type etc.. But the newly defined types are
not tagged. 

regards, Olilver

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: Microsoft QBASIC / FreeBasic tagging of "Type"
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »
How about posting some sample code so we know exactly what you expect?

okania

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:31:50 PM »
What I mean is the following:

When creating a new class like

class xyz
      Dim x as integer
end class

the class is tagged, you have autocompletion and can jump to its definition

when  creating a new type like

type xyz
     Dim x as integer
end type

this does not happen.

regards, Oliver

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 05:10:02 PM »
Thanks for the example.  I will file a defect about this.  We may be able to treat "Type" as a nonstandard language construct.

FYI, some history.  The module is named msqbas.e because over a decade ago, it did some really rudimentary tagging for QBasic.  Now, yes, the module is still named msqbas.e, but it really has nothing to do with QBasic anymore.  We have migrated to supporting Visual Basic, VBScript, and Visual Basic.NET.  To my knowledge, "Type ... End Type" is not a construct in Visual Basic.

okania

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »

FYI, some history.  The module is named msqbas.e because over a decade ago, it did some really rudimentary tagging for QBasic.  Now, yes, the module is still named msqbas.e, but it really has nothing to do with QBasic anymore.  We have migrated to supporting Visual Basic, VBScript, and Visual Basic.NET.  To my knowledge, "Type ... End Type" is not a construct in Visual Basic.

Though it works very well for FreeBasic, which is a QBASIC variant / successor.
Except for the type issue. It would be really nice to see this "fixed". (I do understand the
lack of interest in supporting QBASIC / FreeBasic, but maybe there could be some "inofficial" support)  ;)