Author Topic: SlickEdit OS X 12.0.3 - Font anti-aliasing not working on Leopard  (Read 18519 times)

madmuggle

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SlickEdit OS X 12.0.3 - Font anti-aliasing not working on Leopard
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 08:55:29 PM »
I grabbed my /etc/fonts from a backup of my system pre-10.5 and it worked pretty good.  Still going to try another window manager later on when I get some time, but in the meantime I get to use slickedit!  YAY!

Thanks for the help Scott.  I know none of this was Slickedit's fault, so I really appreciate you guys stepping up and providing solutions to problems you didn't even cause. :)

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
I know none of this was Slickedit's fault ...

Well, sort of.  I've lost count the number of Mac users who have asked for a native (instead of X11) Mac OSX version, said version purportedly not being subject to this issue (along with several other persistent annoyances).  The SlickEdit team made a business decision to stick with X11 on Mac OSX, (apparently at no matter the cost), and it has (apparently) cost more than they expected.
In some respects it is out of SlickEdit's hands, but in others, it's entirely due to the unpopular choices they've made.
disclaimer:  I'm not a Mac user (yet), but I could be, and I'm not blind to the reality the users here have described.

jkwuc89

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 03:01:08 PM »
For those of us running SlickEdit 2007 on OS X, the website to check for X11 OS X updates has moved.  The new link is below:
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz

I installed the X11 2.1.0 update from this site and after updating fonts.conf and fonts.dtd under /etc/fonts, SlickEdit 2007 appears to run OK.  The fonts are anti-aliased.  However, the start up time for SlickEdit is still quite slow.

madmuggle

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:26:42 PM »
I agree Phil.  I am one of the many who ask for a native version for OSX every time I get a chance. ;) 

More and more people are switching to macs all the time.  It was a big decision for me to switch but one I don't regret in the least (then again I had already made the switch to Linux from Windows 5 year prior so OSX wasn't as big a change for me).  One of the first things I did before I switched was to make sure Slickedit was available.  I assumed it was native, bought my mac and was sorely disappointed to see it was X11 based.  But at least it is available.

Anyway, I do agree with you that SE needs to make a native version, because people are switching towards macs.  As more coders move, there will be more incentive for mainstream people to move.  And mainstream people that are talked into it by the Apple ads, or other people that have changed, will start to demand more and more software.  Either way, I think it isn't a bad choice for SE to do a native version.  Being a C/C++ programmer though, I know the amount of work it would probably take to get SE ported to native and that could be daunting if the mac user market isn't there to justify the time yet.

Oh, also I was premature in the fact that SE was working well with the new Xquartz (r11) and leopard.  After using it for a bit, it started crashing on me all the time.  Now I can't get it to run for more than 5 min before it crashes.  So I fink'd fluxbox and use that as my window manager.  Everything has been good for over a week now.  So for other users having major probs, try installing fink and try a different window manager.  It's a lot of hoops to jump through to get SE working, but I know I'm about 1/2 as productive without it, so it's probably worth the time to get it working.