Author Topic: Reusing previous searches  (Read 7720 times)

StephenW

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Reusing previous searches
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:05:14 PM »
For some time now I, especially since I started working on projects where I have mixed C and PL/M source code, I have been finding reusing previous searches to have a measure of frustration attached.  SlickEdit saves the previous search expressions, but not their associated options.  Since C is case sensitive, and PL/M is case insensitive, what I really want is for the case sensitivity option to be restored along with the each search expression.  And also the regular expression setting and all the other options.  Normally all the options form part of the search, and if you want to repeat the search, you wind up having to set them all again.

It might also be a nice idea if the default case sensitivity could be set according to the lexer being used for a file.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Reusing previous searches
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:59:11 PM »
The Find and Replace tool window does have an history,  When the window is active, you can ues F7 and F8 to cycle through the previous searches (and replaces).  In fact, a number of dialogs have a saved history, and it is saved from session to session, so you even access them after restarting.

We do have a feature request for initializing the File Types section based on the current document mode.  A number of users prefer history initialization only, but we may add that as an optional initialization feature in some future release.

StephenW

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »
Another useful trick I never knew about, thank you.  I will have to try F7/F8 on other dialogs too.  However, it is not quite as useful as I might want, since there is no way to get a list of the previous searches so that you can select the one you want from the list, as you can with the drop down list on the "Search for:" field.  But F7/F8 is very fast, so I should be able to use it to just flick through the previous searches and find the one I want.  It is even documented, but I have not read that section of the manual in ages, so I had no idea about it.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:44:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing this little 'secret' with us and get a HP Lee !
That's a really neat feature I also didn't know about - and incredibly useful.
Thanks, HS2

Edit: Please make the document mode guessed 'File Type' optional.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:59:53 PM by hs2 »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
Also note that you can customize your toolbars with a search history control.  If you goto View > Toolbars > Customize... Categories and choose Searching from the categories list.   There is a drop-down list that stores your search history, along with the options used for that particular search.  Each search is stored in the command-line form, as you would do searches on the command-line with the '/' character delimiting the search word from the search options.