Author Topic: Crash when opening file  (Read 6565 times)

prua

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Crash when opening file
« on: October 04, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »
My SlickEdit 12.0.3 on Windows Vista crashes 10-20 times every day.
About every second time I type Ctrl-O to open a file and type the
first file name letters in the open dialog, SlickEdit crashes.
Another (but less frequent) method to crash it is to scroll the files
in the open dialog.
I suspect that a possible reason for the crash is the number of files
in the directory: 825 files.
Does anybody else experience this?
It's quite annoying to loose all your opened file windows and be forced
to restart the application so often.

Best regards

Per

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Crash when opening file
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »

prua

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:34:34 PM »
I replaced the codepagemaps.map file with the one posted in the thread,
but I can't see any difference in behavior, I'm afraid. It still crashes.
Thanks for suggestion anyway.

/Per

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »
I'm running Vista Business here at work, and I have seen this problem, but not with the frequency you're experiencing. I usually see this 2 or 3 times a week, both in SlickEdit (running as Standard User), as well as Visual Studio 2005 (running as Admin, because it has to). Both SlickEdit and VS2005 customize the Open file dialog with custom buttons and controls.

Additionally, I get the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error about once a day, just browsing around the file system. I most often see this browsing directories that have CVS or SVN working copy directories, and I do have both the Tortoise SVN and Tortoise CVS shell extensions installled. But it's not a 100% thing, so I'm not ready to hang Tortoise out to dry (just yet).

At home, where I’ve been running Windows Home Premium, and most of the same dev environment that I have at work, I have not yet encountered this issue.

Can you let us know what flavor of Vista you're running, and if you have any shell extensions installed?

As a stop-gap measure, you may want to try using the text-mode file manager. It's not pretty, but it's really fast. If you've never used it before, and would like some tips, I can post some details.

prua

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:54:13 AM »
I'm running Vista Ultimate with the Tortoise SVN extension (not used for code though).
I don't use many features in SlickEdit: no projects or compilation in Slick. Instead I cache code in windows with ftp from my target system and simply open and edit the files in Slick.
Tips on the text-mode file manager are welcome. I'm forced to do something to this problem, since my feeling is that it is accelerating. Yesterday I used five attempts (four crashes and restarts) in a row to open a file.

Thanks.

/Per

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »
If you can live without Tortoise SVN, or at least live without it long enough to try removing it, rebooting, and trying out SlickEdit again, that may be worth a shot. For reference, I've got Tortoise SVN 1.4.5, build 10425 on both my home and work machines.

I find using the file manager is easiest when you have configured your most-often used directories as directory aliases in SlickEdit. To do this, go to the Tools > Options > Aliases menu command. In the resulting dialog, double-click aliases.slk, which should be the top entry. In the next dialog to pop up, make sure the "Surround with" checkbox in un-checked. Click New. Think of a short, easy-to-remember name for a directory you're browsing to all the time, and put it in the text field. For example, if you had a directory called C:\FileSync\FromFTP, a good alias might be fsftp. Click OK. Make sure your new alias is highlighted and then type the full directory path in the right-side field. (Screenshot: aliases.gif attached)

Once you've got some directory aliases set up, you can then use the cd command on the SlickEdit commandline. For this example, you'd type cd fsftp, and then press Ctrl+Space, which will expand the alias. Press enter, and your current working directory will be set.

From here, you've got two ways to quickly edit your files. The first is to use the edit command on the SE commandline. Activate the commandline and type edit filename.ext (you'll get autocompletion help as you type), and press enter once you've entered the file you want.

The second way is to use the file manager. Activate the commandline and type fileman, and press enter.  A dialog will appear asking for a file filter. If you leave it blank, you'll get *.* by default. Once you click OK, you'll get a text-mode directory listing in what looks like a plain text file. Use the arrow keys to move up and down the listing. Once you've found the file you want, you can double-click the line, or use the arrow keys to make that line the current one and press enter.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:33:51 AM by Matthew »

prua

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 06:46:51 AM »
After a couple of days without the Tortoise SVN, I am confident that
the problem is solved. SlickEdit is stable as a rock now.
And I got some useful tips on other ways to open files as well.

2 x Thanks.
I really appreciated your help!  :D

/Per

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »
I'm glad that helped. Too bad Tortoise and/or Explorer aren't playing nice together; it is a rather handy extension. But they've been pretty good about getting frequent Tortoise SVN updates out, so hopefully soon a more stable version will be available.