Author Topic: Assigning files to Projects Tab sub-directories(folders)  (Read 3974 times)

buggyfunbunny

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Assigning files to Projects Tab sub-directories(folders)
« on: October 11, 2007, 03:04:56 pm »
I've occasional need to make a COBOL project and wander through it.  The default behaviour is to use .cob for source.  Here, we have mainframe and various MicroFocus files in the one project.  Thus, .cbl is the majority extension, not .cob.  Additionally, .sqb contains the "source" for the database access routines.  Only .cob lists as Source Files, and the rest under Other Files.

Looking at cobol.e doesn't reveal anyway to adjust where the files get listed.  Changing COBOL_EXTENSION didn't do that. 

Is this under our control?  Or does it require changing SE?

thanks,
Robert

buggyfunbunny

Re: Assigning files to Projects Tab sub-directories(folders)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:11:42 pm »
How about projconv.e?  Not an obvious name, but looks like it does have a list.  I'll try that.

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:26:53 pm »
I think it's also possible to rclick Project TB > e.g. 'Sources' and adjust 'Folder props. > Filters'.
HS2

PS: You can also adjust the common file filter for 'Cobol' files in: Tools>Options>File Options>File Filters'.
Pay attention to use SEMICOLONs and not COMMAs as separator.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:42:02 pm by hs2 »

buggyfunbunny

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 03:43:48 pm »
Updating projconv.e didn't affect anything, but addons.e had a reference.  But addons.e has defmain, so I tried compiling it from the command line, but that barfed, so I had to restore the 12.0.2 statefile to get back to normal.   ???

I'll look at the other options.   ;D

buggyfunbunny

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 04:03:15 pm »
I think it's also possible to rclick Project TB > e.g. 'Sources' and adjust 'Folder props. > Filters'.
HS2

PS: You can also adjust the common file filter for 'Cobol' files in: Tools>Options>File Options>File Filters'.
Pay attention to use SEMICOLONs and not COMMAs as separator.

Alas, doing both didn't work.  projconv.e is back the way it was.  I didn't try to compile addons.e again; the reference is just a load command, anyway.
hmm.
not something I'm going to worry about; it is just COBOL, after all.

thanks

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:10:13 pm »
Hmm - should work (as it did/does for me).
Did you rclick Project TB> <cobol-project>.vpj > Refilter after changing the filters ? It's not done automatically.
HS2

buggyfunbunny

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 04:28:17 pm »
That did do it.  And now the update to projconv.e sticks:  the added extensions show up as Source Files.  Although the message from Refilter is a little off-putting:  all files will be "reorganized".  Visions of "their" source tree getting re-branched, so to speak. 

StephenW

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 09:16:31 pm »
If you want to create a "MicroFocus Cobol" project "package" that will automatically handle *.cbl and *.sqb files as Source files, go to "Project/New", "Project" tab, "Customize" button, "New" button, and create a "MicroFocus Cobol" package (or whatever you want to call it).  From the "Project Package" window that opens, click on the "Autofolder" button at the bottom right and you get a list of all the filters used to put files into the project folders.  Add ";*.cob;*.sqb" to the end of the "Source Files" filter.  Then whenever you create a new Cobol project, just select "MicroFocus Cobol" from the "Project Type" list on the left.  You can also do a lot more customisation of projects that way, so that everything is automatically set up to work with whatever toolchains you are using.  I have my PL/M, PAL, OpenWatcom and IBM VisualAge compilers set up that way now - before I discovered this feature, I was always having to change the project filters and "Refilter" each time I created a new project - a real PITA.