Author Topic: SlickEdit OS X 12.0.3 - Font anti-aliasing not working on Leopard  (Read 18406 times)

jkwuc89

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
I recently upgraded from Tiger to Leopard.  After starting SlickEdit 12.0.3, I noticed that none of the fonts are anti-aliased.  Is there a setting in SlickEdit that controls this?  I want to check it to make sure that I did not accidentally turn it off.

dmw

• Hero Points: 15
Re: SlickEdit OS X 12.0.3 - Font anti-aliasing not working on Leopard
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 03:34:30 AM »
It's not just you, I'm getting it too.  I tried removing ~/.fonts-cache-1, but after it was rebuilt it was a zero byte file, and now I've got nothing but the basic (non-truetype) fonts in the font selection dialog.

jkwuc89

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
I just an e-mail to support@slickedit.com to open this issue.  I'll reply on this thread with what I hear back from SlickEdit.

jkwuc89

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »
I received a reply from SlickEdit support today regarding this issue.  They are aware of it and are working on a hotfix.

garion911

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 04:15:28 PM »
Hey guys... I just spent a bunch of time trying to get the Tiger version of X11 to work. I was completely un-successful.. But somehow in the process, I got antialiased fonts on the Leopard version..

Here's what I did, you may be able to skip some step, I'm just going to what I did.

First, I followed the install instructions here: http://lists.apple.com/archives/X11-users/2007/Nov/msg00005.html

I go an error about unloading the org.x.X11 entry. (my guess is that I had run X11 before attempting this)

I then rebooted, just to be sure i was clean.

I then tried Slick, and it failed. Just wouldn't start.

So then I followed the uninstall instructions (note that the line with "ln" is supposed to be executed in the /usr directory. Instruction weren't clear about that.)..

Reboot.

Somewhere along the way, I also removed my "export DISPLAY=:0.0" from my .bashrc..

I then was able to start Slick, via the Leopard X11, and have the anti-aliased fonts! Weird. It does take a long time to start tghough, so be patient.

Not all is well... If I was in a long file, and I attempt to scroll to the bottom, it would just stop updating the code window..

I then went and installed the newer version of the Xquartz, available from here: http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin (I followed the binary install intructions)

ANd now everything seems ok.. I get the anti-aliased fonts, and the scrolling seems fixed..

I've verifed that I am running the newer Xquartz by checking the about. I am -not- running the tiger one. My about reads: "X11.app 2.0 - X.org X11R7.2 (xorg-server-1.2a6)"

This is just my 'hacked up' experience. I don't recommend it, as it may render your X11 environment useless.. But if you're brave, give it a stab.. (hey, wouldn't this be a good test of Time Machine? I don't have it set up on my box..)

jkwuc89

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »
I am not quite sure about the exact steps I followed to get this working but I now have anti-aliased fonts in Leopard.  I think the key is updating the Xquartz binary to 1.2a6 using the instructions in the previous post.

Please note that SlickEdit 2007 start-up is rather slow.  But, once it is running, it appears to be working normally.

dmw

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:29:08 PM »
I replaced Xquartz with the newest version using the instructions above.  I can say, at least for me, that that alone does not solve the problem.  My fonts-cache-1 file is still a zero byte file (even after deleting and rebuilding it), so I have nothing but basic bitmapped fonts to choose from.  The anti-aliasing and the fonts-cache problem could be unrelated.

I'm going to try a few of the other things from the post above.

garion911

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:22:25 PM »
I think it may be the removing of the "export DISPLAY" from my .bashrc (or some other location) the DISPLAY setting should look something like this: /tmp/launch-NNdQ0K/:0

Or it could be the deleting of /etc/X11 (done in instructions for going back to Tiger X11)

The original Leorpard X11 will give you antialiased  fonts, but there's other issues (like scrolling)..

dmw

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 06:10:53 PM »
My DISPLAY var is not set in any .*rc file.  Checked in SlickEdit, it shows as /tmp/launch-KDyvmM/:0.

Also, I have no /etc/X11 directory to remove, so that must not be it either.

garion911

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:38:38 PM »
Just an update on my experience.. Xdarwin was updated to version a7 on that website I posted above.. This fixes focus issues, but seems to make the X server unstable. It crashes occasionally when changing focus (killing Slick in the process of course..).. I have sent a bug report to the main guy who's been putting these out.. I would stay away from a7.. I've switched back to a6 for now, as it seems stable, but has focus issues.

I still had slow startup with a7..

jkwuc89

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 03:41:52 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse but a truly native OS X version of SlickEdit would permanently solve all of these issues.

jkwuc89

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Xquartz Version 1.2a8 has been released on http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin
The things I noticed in this version when running SlickEdit are:

1.  Command+C, Command+X and Command+V properly copy, cut and paste to/from the clipboard
2.  Clicking on the SlickEdit window gives it the input focus AND brings it to the foreground (prior Xquartz builds left the window behind others if it was already there).
3.  Font anti-aliasing works
4.  Start up is still quite slow compared to X11 on Tiger
5.  The alt/option key modifier does nothing

I also have SlickEdit 2007 for Linux so as an experiment, I established an SSH connection to it via the command ssh -Y.  This enables X11 tunneling from my remote system to X11 running on my MacBook Pro.  Once I had the connection established, I started SlickEdit from my Linux box.  It properly tunneled into X11 running on my MBP and to my surprise, started up much faster than the locally installed instance of SlickEdit 2007 for OS X.

madmuggle

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 07:37:40 AM »
There wasn't much I could do to get slickedit fonts (and some other issues) working properly with Leopard.  I tried the new quartz a11, but still didn't work out.

I have been a slickedit user for many years now, since v6 if I remember correctly, but I switched to a Mac (from Linux) around v10 or so.  Funny thing was, my choice to switch to a Mac was based on whether I could still use slickedit.  I was very disappointed (should have done a bit more research) when I found out (after buying my mac) that slickedit for mac was not native.  I put up with the X11 emulated junk for a few years (and versions of SE) all the while wishing I could find an editor that was even mildly comparable so I could have that Mac look and feel.  Never did find anything though.  Really the main things I need out of my editor are auto complete  (C++ stuff), syntax highlighting, and VIM emulation.  Can't really find anything out there, especially with vim emulation.

Anyway, this is essentially my goodbye to slickedit.  I just can't fight this stupid X11 thing anymore.  I've wasted too many days trying to get it working how I wanted it to, and never could.  So, sadly, off to xcode for me.

Take this as another vote/plea for a native OSX version.  I'll gladly be back when that happens, until then I guess I suffer with non-vim editors.  You guys at Slickedit do a great job and this is by no means Slickedit's fault.  It's actually the crappy integration of X11/XQuartz to darwin.  But please please please make a native version for OSX so I can use my favorite editor in the future.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 02:28:34 PM »
I'm very sorry for the difficulty this has caused you. We're as frustrated by this as you are. We have updated information on how to work around the font problem posted in this thread: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2294.0

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

--Scott

madmuggle

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Thanks Scott... I will check that post out and see if I can get things working.  Also when I get a break in my hectic deadline I will try another window manager (other than quartz) which may help a bit.

I am about 1/2 as productive without slickedit, so really feeling the pain over the last few days.

You guys know you wanna make a native OSX version, come on, pretty please... ;)