Author Topic: I just lost a lot of work  (Read 2192 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 15
I just lost a lot of work
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:57:49 pm »
SlickEdit suddenly disappeared in the middle of editing.  No warning, no dialog box telling me that an error occurred and asking me to save my data.  When I ran SlickEdit again, all my changed settings disappeared and all the work I had was gone.

SlickEdit apparently didn't save a backup of the file even though I have backups enabled.  I did a search on the hard drive for the backup file but it isn't there.

How do I...
   1) Get my settings back?
   2) Find the backup file so I can recover my data?

StephenW

• Hero Points: 21
Re: I just lost a lot of work
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:27:28 pm »
Check "Tools/Options/File options/Backup" for the location of your backup directory.  That is where SlickEdit saves both autosaves and the backup history it creates on each save if you have the option to do that set (same settings page).  However, if you really have lost your settings, then it is possible that the settings on that page will have been reset to defaults, so if you had changed them before, you will have to try to remember where you had the backups going to.  An "all hard disks" search for the name of the source file you were working on at the time of the crash (minus the extension) should find the directory, or search for an "autosave" or "backup" directory name.

Also, open one of the files that you lost (create a dummy file at the correct location if there is no file of the correct name there) and check "File/Backup history for...".  That should give you a list of older versions that can be restored (if you had that option set).

hs2

• Hero Points: 281
Re: I just lost a lot of work
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:58:11 am »
Seems that the SE crash corrupted the 'vslick.sta' file. You could try to rebuild it using the hopefully still existing settings. (see http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2171.msg9076#msg9076 for some details).
HS2