Author Topic: Odd linux UI thing...  (Read 7357 times)

jeffcobb

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Odd linux UI thing...
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:36:12 pm »
FWIW, 11.0 and 11.01 refuse to launch help unless there is already another instance of the browser running; otherwise the help menu options are deaf as a post.

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 20
Re: Odd linux UI thing...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 04:45:35 pm »
Make sure that you have:

"%(VSLICKHELP_WEB_BROWSER)" -remote 'openURL(%f)'

in the *Mozilla setting in the Web Browser Setup.  Note that even when the Web Browser is set to something other than Mozilla, we always open the browser specified in the Mozilla setting.  Even if the user has selected, say, Firefox in the Web Browser Setup dialog, we overwrite it and always use what is specified in Mozilla for launching Help.  (This was done because some users would break their browser and then couldn't read help docs, but we ship with Mozilla...)  For all the other browser launch events, such as the user clicking an URL, we use the browser that is selected in the setup.

You can then set the VSLICKHELP_WEB_BROWSER using the 'set' command dynamically at the SlickEdit command line, or you can set it in your <SlickEdit_User_Config>\vslick.ini file.

jeffcobb

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:40:02 pm »
I had every set properly but adding the line to the vslick.ini file (once I found it; not in an obvious place at all for a linux system) was what turned the trick. Odd that this was off by default.

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 20
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:51:49 pm »
8)  Glad your Help files launch properly now.

(The location of the configuration directory is listed in the 'Help > About SlickEdit' Program Information.)

jeffcobb

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 08:19:06 pm »
Having never seen configuration file location information on an About box before (or anything more useful than a version number forthat matter), I would not have looked there in a million years. I wonder what else I am missing by not looking in non-obvious places.... ???

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 02:09:52 pm »
You can also locate that information very easily using the Help system. Select Help > Index and enter "Config". You'll see a topic called "Configuration Files". Unlike Help > About, it wouldn't tell you the exact location of your config directory, but it would tell you enough to located it.

I know that as programmers we feel like using the help system is like stopping and asking for directions when driving. And I know that SlickEdit's help has sometimes been as useful as directions from from an old Farmer, "Go up this road past the Johnson place and turn where that old barn used to be..." (my Midwest upbringing is showing).  But we have made a lot of progress on the help system and you should give it a try when looking for information. We still have a lot of work to do, but the Table of Contents and Index are much better.

--Scott

jeffcobb

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 10:59:32 pm »
The irony of course of needing the help system to find the configuration for the help system is rich indeed (I am smiling as I say this)...in any event, the situation is fixed, I thank you all for your kind patience. I used Slickedit years ago and it was on the strength of those memories did I purchase the Linux version when I already had Emacs doing everything I needed it to. The more gaps in my development world it can fill, the more I like my decision to spend money on this product...

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 01:44:08 pm »
Yeah, I totally missed that!  ;D  I got so focused on how to locate the configuration files I forgot what the original issue was. I guess I was kind of eager to get in a plug for the help system, too. Still, it was good for a good laugh on a Monday morning!

--Scott