Author Topic: Fighting with autocomplete  (Read 21216 times)

divisortheory

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Fighting with autocomplete
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 12:04:20 AM »
6) Nothing in the list matches exactly, so SlickEdit smartly selects the case-insenstive match,
    assuming that you were saving yourself time by typing the lowercase prefix of the symbol.
    Sure, we could disable this feature, but it would essentially cripple list-members because
    you would have to type symbols in their exact case to find anything.  Note also, if you
    type a mixed case identifier, as long as the language is case-sensitive, list-members will
    be case-sensitive.  Basically, if you took the time to type something in upper-case (more
    effort than just typing lowercase), we assume that you know what you want.

You should either provide an option for the case-sensitivity or do what visual studio does.  Personally I always type things in the correct case out of habit, and having it "smartly" select the case-insensitive match is a bug for me.

As for visual studio, if it finds a case-insensitive match, it will "half-select" the match in the popup.  By half-select I mean you will see a dotted rectangle surrounding the item, but it will not be highlighted.  As such, it will also not work in auto complete unless you explicitly press Enter to fully select the item, then Enter again to choose it as your desired selection.

Either way, this really needs to be an option.  If I'm typing code in a case sensitive language I definitely do NOT desire case-insensitive matches.

evanratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »
Dennis,
Thank you for that explanation. It did clear up some apparent misconceptions I had regarding auto-complete and the auto-list features. It does sound like I want to turn off the auto-list features.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 05:16:43 PM »
@hs2  With respect to dynamic surround and autocomplete working together in harmony.  The next release of the 12.0.3 hot fix will have a fix for this problem.  While it is not the ideal fix, it is the same nature of workaround that allows list-symbols to work with dynamic surround.  Enjoy in moderation.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »
Ahh - that's great ! I'm using autocomplete quite often (and I've added a patch to quickly switch to 'list-symbols' in case it's more appropriate and vice versa). That's really powerful and I'm able to complete almost everything quite fast ;)
Thanks a lot Dennis, HS2
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:06:34 PM by hs2 »

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »
The latest SlickEdit 12.0.3 hotfix (Dec 14th - revision 25) has been updated with this fix.  The hotfix can be downloaded via http://www.slickedit.com/content/view/459.   Please alert support@slickedit.com if the hotfix does not resolve the issue!

hs2

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »
??? autocomplete.e in r25 is still the same (dated 03.08.2007) HS2

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »
Ok, the hotfix has been updated.  www.slickedit.com/hotfix.  Again, please let me know if the issue is not resolved!   :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:39:08 PM by Ashley »

hs2

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 10:33:45 PM »
Thanks a lot - this issue is FIXED :)
HS2