Author Topic: Inserted or No Save lines  (Read 10962 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Inserted or No Save lines
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:41:41 PM »
I'm working with a couple of text files.  I copied blocks of text from one file to another but when I inserted, the line is white text with a dark red background.  There are no line numbers for these lines.  When I try to save the file, these lines don't appear in the file.  According to the Color Settings dialog box, these are either Inserted Lines or No Save lines.  My guess is No Save lines since they aren't getting saved.

There's no documentation on these lines.  I don't want them there, and I need to remove the No Save attribute so I can save these lines with the rest of the file.  How do I do that and how do I disable these lines from occurring again?

TIA,

Ricky

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
Re: Inserted or No Save lines
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:51:54 PM »
This is an known bug (I was wondering that I'm the only one having this annoying problem..)
(see http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1881.msg7945#msg7945)
I'll quickly check if I can post my workaround here. Seems that it's working stable.
Stay tuned,
HS2

hs2

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:19:47 PM »
Here we go...
I've made an UNOFFICIAL hotfix for easy (un-)installation.
'Use Help>Product Updates>Load Hotfix' to install it.
Have fun,
HS2

Edit:  Updated attachment 'hotfix_se1203_clipbd.zip' (removed the commentwrap_Paste fix)
Edit2: Added 'hotfix_se1203_clipbd_comment_wrap_fix.zip' including the fixed 'commentformat.e'
Edit2: Updated 'hotfix_se1203_clipbd_comment_wrap_fix.zip' including latest fixes from David_O
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 06:01:24 PM by hs2 »

jorick

PASTE DOESN'T WORK!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »
 :o

I installed the hotfix and now paste doesn't work!  When I try to paste I get two dialog boxes up.  One is a Slick-C Error that states "Procedure commentwrap-Paste not found  file=clipbd.ex offset 4498".  The other box is Slick-C Stack that varies depending on which paste I use.  If I try a Brief paste, it contains:

Stack trace written to file: C:\DOCUME~1\rbennet\LOCALS~1\Temp\vsstack
 Procedure commentwrap-Paste not found
clipbd.ex 4498 paste(,1)   p_window_id: 157   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:
briefutl.ex 242 brief_paste()   p_window_id: 157   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:

If I try a Shift-Ins paste, it contains:

Stack trace written to file: C:\DOCUME~1\rbennet\LOCALS~1\Temp\vsstack
 Procedure commentwrap-Paste not found
clipbd.ex 4498 paste(,1)   p_window_id: 157   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:

hs2

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 01:53:26 PM »
Oh sh$%&..., this one already contained another fix from David_O - http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2303.msg9675#msg9675
2 possibilties:
1. remove the 'commentwrap_Paste' stuff in the 'paste' command
-> easiest way: use 'fp paste' on SE cmdline

2. also load the attached 'commentformat.e' (only this file) from David_O

Sorry - HS2

jorick

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »
Too late.  I just reinstalled SlickEdit.

Your instructions wouldn't do me any good anyway.  As a newbie SE user, I have no idea what goes on inside SE.

hs2

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
Sorry jorick - that was not intended :(
However, I've updated the attachments for both 'versions' in the posting above in case you give it a 2nd try...
('hotfix_se1203_clipbd.zip' is the fix for the original version)
HS2
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:07:34 PM by hs2 »

jorick

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »
I just installed the comment warp version (I assume that takes care of both problems).  It's working fine now.  Thanks!

hs2

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »
Just to make it more save I've included the 'commentformat.e' from David_O in the 'hotfix_se1203_clipbd_comment_wrap_fix.zip' (should be 'wrap' not warp ;). So it's contains everything needed.
Attachment updated.

HS2

jorick

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »
All fixes applied but there still seems to be a bit of a problem.  Sometimes I'll copy a block but when I paste, nothing is there.  I can't get it to happen all the time and I can't seem to pin down exactly what to do to get it to fail.

I use copy-to-clipboard and brief-paste.

(Gee, I'm starting to find my way around this editor!   :) )

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:11:25 PM »
Are the copy/paste problems all occurring when used with selective-display buffers?  I've reproduced some of the issues with CHAR and LINE selections, but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with BLOCK selections.  Any info you can provide on clipboard issues for generating a reproducible case would be greatly appreciated.

hs2

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »
Are the copy/paste problems all occurring when used with selective-display buffers?
Yes.

@jorick: I'm using the same setup. No problems until now with and I'm using BLOCK selections very often.
So I'll notice any problem with that soon. Maybe my workflow with copy'n paste is a bit different. But as Lee said a use case would showing the wrong behavoiur would be helpful.
I only ran into troubles with CHAR selections so the workaround only takes care about this type.

HS2

jorick

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »
The problem occurs when doing character blocks.  I don't see it when I select lines.  I do have selective display active on one of the windows but the problem occurs in other windows where selective display is off.

When the problem occurs, I go back to the selection I copied and right click on it to bring up the popup menu.  I select "Copy" and it works properly.  It also resets the problem so that the next time I copy using a keystroke, it works properly.

jorick

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:02:26 PM »
After reading your question again, I wonder about the definition of "blocks".

I see the problem if I select some characters normally with the left mouse button.  I don't see it if I use columnar blocks (i.e. 4x7 block selected with the right mouse button).

David_O

• Hero Points: 8
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
I made an update to the two files I posted on the following thread

http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2303.0

hs2 incorporated these changes into the files he posted in this thread.  Therefore, his two files in hotfix_se1203_clipbd_comment_wrap_fix.zip need to be updated.  This is possibly what is causing your latest problem.

I have downloaded and repack hs2's file hotfix_se1203_clipbd_comment_wrap_fix.zip and attached it to this post.

Thanks,