Author Topic: Windows clipboard - X - SlickEdit  (Read 6227 times)

Bartleby

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Windows clipboard - X - SlickEdit
« on: December 20, 2007, 02:31:39 pm »
Hi,

our company wants to use SlickEdit running on Linux from a MS Windows machine with a X Server (XMing or Cygwin). I am part of the trial program. There are some funny minor issues with screen actualization, but for 90% of the things I really care about, SlickEdit does the work and is easy to use.

However, there is one big issue, where we cannot find a way how to get around: The integration with the Windows clipboard, or lack thereof, just won't do.

I don't care if the SlickEdit-internal clipboard list is working or not. I don't care about compliance to XWindows standards. I do care about being able to copy & paste code from and to SlickEdit to and from a MS Word document, and scores of other tools running on my Windows machine. I would also appreciate it, if it works by pressing Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

Is there a simple way to tell SlickEdit to behave under X like a Windows program does under Windows?

If there isn't a simple way - do you see any solution or workaround, however complex, how we clipboard-addicted, copy&paste-happy Windows programmers may help ourselves? I am willing to spend some effort into having a clipboard like I used to when I was a Visual Studio programmer in my previous life.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Bartleby.

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: Windows clipboard - X - SlickEdit
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:04:09 am »
It's been quite a while since I ran SE on linux inside the cygwin X server on Windows, way back then, the cygwin X server was rather a fragile lashup, so the results were less than stellar.  Due to the long period since I last used any X server, please take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think the windows clipboard is the responsibility of your X server.  Even longer ago, I used to use the Hummingbird eXceed X server, and my recollection is that it supported using the Windows clipboard.  Again, all the previous caveats about the quality of my memory apply.

Bartleby

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:27:56 am »
Hi Phil,

thanks for your answer.

You may be right about the responsiblity. As far as I have seen from other threads, SlickEdit tries to follow X standards, and the X Server tries to synchronize its clipboard with the Windows clipboard. Neither of them succeeds without footnotes, and neither cares much about my user experience. Typical case of shared responsibility.

It is possible to copy from Windows to SlickEdit - as long as you don't copy anything inside SlickEdit. Then the internal SE clipboard magement takes over, and you cannot access the system clipboard any longer. One thread recommends as a workaround to use the mou-paste command. That's as far as I have been able to cut through the jungle so far.

Now I would need

a) someone to tell me if it is really that difficult, or if there is a much easier fix;

b) a way to tell the mou-paste command to paste not at the mouse position, but at the caret - probably by mixing up the code behind the mou-paste and paste commands;

c) solutions to a bunch of similar problems to copy in the other direction from SlickEdit through X to Windows.

I can copy to and from emacs running on the same X, which shows that SlickEdit is at least part of the problem.

???

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:12:36 pm »
I have forwarded this issue to a couple of the developers. Maybe there's something we can do to address this.

Out of curiousity, can you tell me why you're trying to work this way. In general I think you'd be happier running SlickEdit natively on Linux or Windows. I assume it's some kind of issue with everyone having Windows boxes for email and junk but the code being for a Linux project. If that's the case you can still edit the code on Windows and then push the code to the Linux box to build/run/debug.

I'd like to learn more about your development approach so I can understand and prioritize any needed changes.  Thanks.

--Scott

Bartleby

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:21:59 am »
Hallo Scott,

why you're trying to work this way

Good question.

Our development and build operating system of choice is Linux, the ultimate target system being Solaris.
As you guessed correctly, we use Windows machines to integrate with our MS Office-based infrastructure.

Right now, everyone uses her/his own set of tools to make this work. We are looking for a common solution, and want SlickEdit to be the IDE. The copy/paste-problem is the last major obstacle, and it's a stubborn one. We used to think it is a technical deficit (http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1837.0), but now it seems to us that it's partly because we want Windows-like clipboard handling, while SlickEdit wants its own clipboard ring first, and X-compliant clipboard handling second. However, it would be very much appreciated, if we can find some practicable workaround despite this divergence of goals.

you can still edit the code on Windows and then push the code to the Linux box to build/run/debug

I'm not sure if I would know how to make your proposal work. Are you saying I could install and run SlickEdit on my Windows machine, or a central Windows server, while building and debugging under Linux? Is it possible to configure SlickEdit to use something like a "remote debugging server"?

Thanks for your support,
and happy new year!
Bartleby (the programmer)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 03:35:25 pm »
Someone is looking into this. As for my proposal, I'm saying that you could run SlickEdit locally on your Windows machine and edit the files there. When you do a a build you could have a script that pushes the files to the Linux box. Yes, SlickEdit does have the capability to attach to a remote process: Debug > Attach Debugger. Only you can decide which provides the greater source of inconvenience.

We'll let you know what we come up with.

oliverf

• New Community Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:04:05 pm »
I'm a position similar (but unrelated) to Bartleby's.  I run SlickEdit on a Linux machine that I've connected to via an NX desktop (Gnome) from a local Windows machine.  But I can't even get copy/paste to work between SlickEdit and other apps on the Linux desktop.  I've tried Ctrl-C/V, the context menu and the middle button.  None work.

Running SlickEdit locally isn't feasible because a) I'm on a remote connection so opening and editing files is slow and b) licensing.

Any ideas for workarounds to get cross-Linux app copy/paste to work?  Ironically, I _can_ copy/paste between Windows and other Linux apps.  So my current workaround involves opening the file (slowly) in notepad on Windows and copy/pasting from there to the other Linux app.  Needless to say, that's very annoying.  Please let us know when the devs are able to fix these issues.  Thanks.

matt.newby

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:16:03 pm »
I have issues with (Linux) Slickedits / X Clipboard management (V12.0.3).....
Our setup is a Linux lab connected through VNC servers, our desktops are PC's used for email, junk and documentation. For commercial / security reasons, we only have one port open (for VNC) between the two systems, so a Windows Native Slickedit is not an option.
We can copy/paste from the X clipboard in the VNC session into windows and back, but with Slickedit cannot. Slickedit sometimes stops copying data to/from the X buffer as well.
A fix to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Heres what I have found -
Start Slickedit
Select block from an X app, and it appears in the windows paste buffer (OK)
Copy data into Windows paste buffer from a Windows app, and it appears in the X paste buffer (OK), BUT not in Slickedit's paste buffer (NOK)
Select Block from Slickedit, it appears in the X paste buffer (OK), BUT not in Windows Paste buffer (NOK).