Author Topic: configure perforce in linux  (Read 5978 times)

arielshalev

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
configure perforce in linux
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:11:14 am »
Hi all,
I am new to vs. I am trying to configure the vs to work with the p4 command line. I keep getting an error messages regarding to connection failure.
Where should I define the connection string to the perforce server?
I tried to do it in the VCS project text box but with no luck so far. any idea?

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: configure perforce in linux
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:16:56 pm »
I assume you're not running Windows, otherwise you would be using SCC to interact with P4v, correct?  To configure the connection to Perforce, do the following:
1) Select Tools > Version Control > Setup.
2) Put a check in "Command line systems" and pick "Perforce" from the list.

I believe you have already done those steps.
3) Click "OK".
4) Select Tools > Version Control > Perforce Login, or something very similar. I'm on Windows right now and can only test this flow with a non-SCC system like CVS, so I see "CVS Login". This should bring up a dialog to configure the access to the Perforce server.

Perhaps we need to add a button to the "Version Control Setup" dialog to bring up that dialog. Let me know if this helps.

--Scott

arielshalev

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 06:24:43 am »
Thanks for your replay.
You are right, I run on Linux. I finally figure out what is the problem. VS is using the vslick.ini configuration file for environment variables.
you can locate it under ~/.slickedit/[version number]/. If the file does not exist you need to create it. in the file you need to add this section:

[Environment]
P4USER=perforce_user
P4PORT=perforce_host_server:perforce_host_port
P4CLIENT=perforce_workspace.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:31:27 pm »
Yes, I would have known that you run on Linux if I paid more attention to the subject.  ::)

Glad you got that working. I'm still trying to determine if the solution I offered would have worked and what we need to update in the documentation so others don't struggle with this.