Author Topic: SlickEdit 2007 and .net debugger setup help for a new user  (Read 3974 times)

shreyasbshah

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit 2007 and .net debugger setup help for a new user
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:51:29 PM »
Hi,

Different versions of our product use different .net compilers.  We also have our own build tools and environment.

I have been able to set all this up with concur_command on project startup and using macros to send custom compile and build commands to the build window with the environment set up at the startup.

However, I have not been able to figure out how to use .net debugger from Slickedit.  I bring up debug environment for .net as following:

1.  Start a command shell.
2.  Set up appropriate .net environment.
3.  devenv /debugexe

If I set my debug command to devenv, it cannot find devenv.  This probably is because correct c++ libs are not in path.

I would like to set up .net debugger, .net 2003 debugger, 2005 debugger using debugger options and let each project decide which one is the right debugger.  I also would like to then use debug -> attach debugger -> debug other executables to start appropriate .net debugger.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Re: SlickEdit 2007 and .net debugger setup help for a new user
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:05:21 AM »
I have to add my vote for this (or similar) as a really big 'desirement'.  I have a few embedded projects with which I do a lot of testing/debugging using Matlab/Simulink 'S-functions' that wrap the embedded code into a system simulation.  The S-function is essentially a dll that is built using VS2003 but I do all of my editing in SE.  When debugging, I have to start VS2003 and use the less than desirable VS environment (no Defs window, no Ctrl-., no Ctrl-/, etc).  It would would be really great to be able to do all of this in the SE environment.  I may be dreaming...

Even if I have to use the VS debugger it would be nice to be able to launch it from the editor.  Currently, after making edits in SE, I have to open VS2003, connect to Matlab, set breakpoints as desired, switch to Matlab  and start the simulation (all of which is outside of the SE environment).  When I find issues, I switch back to SE, make the edits, switch back to VS, do the build (which, thankfully does work inside of SE), go back to VS, accept the reload of externally modified files, reconnect to the Matlab process for debugging, switch back to Matlab, and run again.  It would be great if this could be streamlined/unified into less than three environments. 

My builds work great from SE so I may be a bit off topic since I'm not using multiple versions of VS (at least not yet).

I must admit I've never seen a demo or anyone using a debugger from inside of SE but I've seen quite a bit of discussion on the forum, in the documentation, etc. about using GDB, etc.  It is a really intriguing idea that could make things much more seamless for my process on these projects.

Regards and kudos on this extraordinary forum and it's generous participants.

Les