Author Topic: Opening workspace kills Slickedit  (Read 16927 times)

Duhhh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Opening workspace kills Slickedit
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 10:40:38 PM »
Does it solve the opposite end of the problem (where if you open SlickEdit with an active workspace that has a network project that is not available, it locks up?)

I'm a bit puzzled by how SE 2008 is behaving on this. If I wait long enough to dismiss the errors, I can close the workspace, and exit SE - this should save a new state without the workspace. If I restart SE, it again tries to open the workspace and fails. However, if I give it access to the network project and open SE, it comes up normally, and the workspace ISN'T open! That's odd!

I think for me, the jury is still out on SE 2008, but I have 14 more days to test, if anyone can think of other things I can try.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 10:55:40 PM »
The hang when trying to access unavailable network resources is a network problem.  The delay you're seeing is the TCP timeout.  Set up a similar scenario with another app, you should expect a similar hang.

It's a minor nit that SlickEdit reports a confused error message after experience network failures trying to access a non-existent file.

If I restart SE, it again tries to open the workspace and fails. However, if I give it access to the network project and open SE, it comes up normally, and the workspace ISN'T open!
Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say the workspace isn't open?  For example, do you mean that none of the files you had open got reloaded?  Or do you mean that you checked the Project menu, and the workspace is listed but does not have a check mark next to its name?  Or is the workspace not anywhere on the Project menu?

Duhhh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 12:54:40 AM »
I mean that the workspace doesn't have a checkmark, and there is no option to close the workspace. It's as if SE is just checking to see if the last-opened workspace is still around, and hitting a network error when trying to do so.

I don't mind an error when the network dies, but SE really falls all over itself. After the first error popup, I still can't get access to the main window to close the workspace. At least it is usable - in the last version, I was not able to open SE unless I checked the workspace status and made it match what network I was connected to. At least now I can open SE with no workspace, and open the one I want.