Author Topic: Please reconsider SlickEdit licencing  (Read 5529 times)

magpie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Please reconsider SlickEdit licencing
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:19:34 pm »
It has been a long time since the SlickEdit licencing was drawn up and the software world changed dramatically. Developers move move more freely between operating systems, or run multiple OS's simultaneously thanks to virtualisation. The value proposition of a commercial IDE is also diminished, with Visual Studio being bought on subscription by many companies, the rise of Eclipse, Netbeans etc.

I'm currently developing in Ruby, Rails and Adobe Flex (ActionScript) fulltime, and although SlickEdit does an OK job when actually writing code, I'm missing the Ruby and Rails goodness of Netbeans and switching to Flex Builder (in Eclipse) for debugging and visual design. OK, I could get the Eclipse SlickEdit plugin, but I don't actually like Eclipse so far, and $199 hurts too much on top of $299 for the standalone version. So I'm split between the standalone and plugin versions.

Meanwhile, I'm buying my first Mac after 13 years on Windows. I'm undecided on which is best for me between Linux, MacOS and Windows. I plan to install all 3 on it but ultimately Id like to do everything in MacOS. The main obstacle is the apparently poor support of MacOS with SlickEdit. Paying $299 again for a substandard SlickEdit when NetBeans is free is also hard to take!

Basically what I'm suggesting is that you make it much simpler and cheaper to add and upgrade platforms and versions (standalone/Eclipse) to an existing licence. It could be a flat fee to add a platform/version, but there needn't be the predefined bundles you have now eg. Linux & Windows, Linux & MacOS (what about Windows, MacOS and Linux ?). Also I don't think $799 is fair for the multiplatform version. Perhaps it could get cheaper each time you add a version.

Thanks,

Gary

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
Re: Please reconsider SlickEdit licencing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:42:52 pm »
Wow, I never noticed the $799 multi platform edition. Ouch.

John Hurst

magpie

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:23:04 am »
Thinking more about this, what I really want is :
1) A solid, native MacOS version
2) A price drop of SlickEdit to $199, version upgrades $100
3) Extra platforms/versions say $75 extra each, upgrades $50
4) The ability to upgrade some platforms and not others. Eg I've started with a Windows licence, could add a MacOS licence and upgrade it, but leave my Windows version as is, because I may not use it much any more.

StephenW

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:13:06 am »
Lower prices are always nice, but not at the expense of a quality product.  I rely on SlickEdit so much that I never want to be left without full support, and that means that SlickEdit the company has to be making a good profit from the business.  Having been through the loss of Brief way back when the developer sold out to Borland and then Borland dropped it, I never want to be in that position again.  Fortunately, SlickEdit had Brief emulation even back then, but I had to port all my macros.

I do agree that there should be better deals for getting additional platforms (not necessarily as low as $75 though).  And the web site needs to be able to sell me, say, the Linux version as an add-on to my existing Windows version, and to be able to sell me the extra maintenance for the Linux version.  I am sure that if I email sales, they will be able to give me a price for that.  But emailing sales is something that I have not found the time to do so far, and I could do with a copy of the Linux version to run on my MythTV PVR box (for personal rather than business use).  If it was on the web site, I might well have bought the upgrade by now.

magpie

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:07:09 am »
Pricing is a black art, and lower prices don't simply mean less profit. eg. there could be 4 times as many people who would register if the price was halved.

I'm concerned about SlickEdit's future viability - since V4 it is much less stable and has many features that sort-of work and clutter the interface. Slick C is antiquated, lacking objects and hurts my eyes after using C# or Ruby. "Cross platform" is more important than ever, yet perhaps the hottest platform, MacOS, (see http://www.google.com/trends?q=mac%2Cwindows%2Clinux&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0 and http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/01/a_year_in_oreilly_books.html) and has a poor implementation with no commitment to its improvement.

It should be easy to sell cross platform licences to existing slickedit users as we are already convinced of its power, and it can ease the transition for us. But I think the price is a heavy penalty, especially considering we may not continue to use our existing platform licence.

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 05:42:46 pm »
One of the things that has always bothered me about Slickedit pricing is that Slickedit costs more for single user licenses.

If I buy my own personal copy of Slickedit I pay more than if my company buys 10 licenses.

Slickedit is biting the hand that feeds it.   Because I had a personal copy of Slickedit,  I was able to convince at least 3 companies I worked for to buy VSE for the company.

aperry

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:53:37 pm »
I have convinced my current company that SlickEdit is really cool, but not enough that they're willing to cough up money to get some licenses.  Fortunately, I didn't have to pay the full price for my personal copy when I originally bought it because the company I worked for at the time had several licenses, and the sales guy let me pay "their" price to buy a copy for myself.  So, I just keep paying my $60 a year for maintenance and get the updates as they come.

Regarding licensing an add-on copy for another operating system, I too think that if they made it more reasonable to do so, they'd get more people to bite.

One thing that does totally rule in SE's licensing scheme is that I can have it installed on all my computers, as long as I only am actually using the program on one computer at a time.  So, I have my favorite editor available to me no matter which computer I'm on.

DaveyC

• Hero Points: 9
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:20:55 am »
My company is more than happy to cough up the wonga for Slickedit, and rightly so. The most important tool for any coder is the editor, and I haven't seen a better one
for my needs which is multi-language development. I code C/C++, Java, REXX, OS390 assembler, shell scripts, JCL. Without slick my productivity would decrease by 30%.
If I ever leave my current employer I would happily pay for slick out of my own pocket.

yeah, yeah, bit of testimony but hey!

livingintown

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:35:49 am »
Even I don't really worried about getting a license of slickedit, but I still think, slickedit is doing some how cautiously in terms of license.

I think slickedit is the best IDE I ever have or even met, but comparing with other IDEs like eclipse, virtual studio, the market share of slickedit is not as big as it should be. slickedit deserves more than just that. I think the major reason is that people don't know slickedit very well or haven't have chance to try it out.

Most of software company and it's getting larger to support student or research folks to use their products with discount or even free, you could see that the student who uses this product today might be the buyers when he/she worked for a company. slickedit is welcomed by many big firm who worked in complex env mixed with unix, linux and windows, and these company wants to pay for the prices. but what about small company employee, or student, teacher, open source dev, etc.