Author Topic: Can't get vsdiff.exe or vsmerge.exe invocation argument help  (Read 4567 times)

Brandon Hamm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Can't get vsdiff.exe or vsmerge.exe invocation argument help
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:31:38 pm »
Can anyone explain what is causing me to get a terminal bell and no "help" dialog when I type the following:

Code: [Select]
vsdiff.exe /?
or
Code: [Select]
vsmerge.exe /?

I just get a "ding" and nothing else.  In the short term, if someone has the inclination to run these, get a screen capture, and just post the screenshot...that would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Brandon Hamm

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 281
Re: Can't get vsdiff.exe or vsmerge.exe invocation argument help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:44:58 pm »
Should be no problem. Both '/?' and '-h' are working (for me) and provide the help dialogs attached.
BTW: You can also run them interactively when launching w/o params.
HS2

Brandon Hamm

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:55:01 pm »
Thanks for the screen shots.  Yes, I'm able to run them just fine interactively, but I was trying to configure TortoiseSVN to invoke vsdiff/vsmerge instead of its built-in diff tool.

Thanks!
Brandon

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:32:01 am »
I would recommend configuring Tortoise for WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/) instead.  It is more flexible/configurable than vsdiff.  vsdiff is OK for checking file histories from within SE but it doesn't give me all I want in a diff utility.

Just my two cents.

Brandon Hamm

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:40:58 am »
I've used WinMerge in the past, and it's quite a good program, especially for the price.  My biggest reason for not using it is that it doesn't support 3-way merging - DiffZilla does (vsmerge), and I'd like to keep my tools consistent.  I don't see a compelling reason to use one program for two-way diffs and another for 3-way diffs when I already have a fairly competent tool that does both.