Author Topic: VI emulation - what mode am I in?  (Read 6751 times)

jfoell

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
VI emulation - what mode am I in?
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:47:45 PM »
I'm trying to reduce my reliance on my mouse.  I have a little experience with emacs and vim.  I've tried the emacs emulation, now I'm trying the vi emulation.  Are there any visual clues as to what mode I'm currently in?  (Insert mode or Command Mode)  For example:  --INSERT on the message line or cursor changing shape?  I can't seem to see any changes on the screen when I change modes.  (version 10 winxp)

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Re: VI emulation - what mode am I in?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »
v12.0.3, WinXP

I use vi emulation -- my command mode cursor is a short underline, while the insert mode cursor is a vertical bar.
If I hit Esc twice (or anytime the editor is already in command mode) the message "Already in command mode" appears in the status bar, but that is the only indication.

In Options->General->More I have "Use block cursor" and "Hide mouse pointer" checked.  I don't know if there are other options that affect the cursor, or if the vi emu monkeys with it.

Update: in vicmode.e:
// Cursor definitions for Vim
_str VI_INSERT_CURSOR='-v 750 1000 750 1000 750 1000 750 1000';
_str VI_COMMAND_CURSOR='750 1000 750 1000 750 1000 750 1000';

jfoell

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
In v10.0.3
I don't have any lines similar to your suggestion in vicmode.e.  Is your suggestion to add those lines?
Is it possible this is something that changed between v10 and v12.
I tried using "block cursor" in the Tools->Options->General...->More.  This caused the cursor to be a block during both INSERT mode and COMMAND mode.  I also get the "already in command mode" if I press ESC twice.  Thanks for your suggestions.

buggyfunbunny

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
in the edit window hit  :
this will open the command window
type set <cr>
this will show settings, if showmode is on, it will be listed.  if not
type set showmode <cr>
in the edit window you'll see INSERT in the left status bar when in insert mode

jfoell

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »
Boom!
Exactly what I needed.  Points for you.

Wanderer

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
In v10.0.3
I don't have any lines similar to your suggestion in vicmode.e.  Is your suggestion to add those lines?
Is it possible this is something that changed between v10 and v12.
I tried using "block cursor" in the Tools->Options->General...->More.  This caused the cursor to be a block during both INSERT mode and COMMAND mode.  I also get the "already in command mode" if I press ESC twice.  Thanks for your suggestions.
I have "block cursor" selected in Tools->Options->General, yet have an underline cursor in command mode.
I tried several changes in vicmode.e, but have not been able to get a block cursor in command mode.