Author Topic: Minor settings diffs  (Read 9465 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Minor settings diffs
« on: August 16, 2006, 11:17:48 AM »
Normally I used God's own indentation style for C and have SlickEdit set up for this. However, a client insists on using some weirdo style so I have to conform when working on his stuff. SlickEdit supports this other style too, but I have to pop up the beautify config stuff in order to switch between the two styles. Needless to say, it's a right pain and easy to get wrong.

So, I set up an alternate config using the -sc command line switch. Works great - click on one icon for proper code and another for the client's stuff. Each setup even keeps track of which projects were used, so I don't see his projects when I'm editing my code and vice versa.

However, this does mean that things get out of step. If I find a cool macro and install it then I have to remember to do it again in the other setup. Similarly, if I decide comments are going to be a nice pink then I have to do that twice. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Is there any way of making configurations (such as beautifying style) on a per-project basis? Or being able to specify which bits are shared between configs?

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
Re: Minor settings diffs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »
Well, depends ...
There are a couple of (human readable) config files in the config - directory you can fiddle around.
These could be somehow shared, merged or messed up in another way ;)
But all the stuff saved / restored in the binary vslick.sta can't be (easily ) sync'd.
But at least the colorizer config is in uscheme.ini user.vlx ...

HS2

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 05:44:44 PM »
Thanks. I realise my post was a bit ambiguous in wanting to keep some config options separate and others propogated.

Perhaps if there's some static variable in the project file a script could look at that and set the appropriate options. Hmmm. I can feel this becoming a life's work...  :)

hs2

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:08:03 PM »
Good idea !
And the best thing: It's already built-in.
@see 'Project -> Project Properties -> Open Tab
You can script various things there... (@see attachment)

Warning: After quitting the dialog Slick tries to execute this script immediatly - at least when I do that :(
This could lead to some surprises depending on the stuff you added there.

HS2

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:12:58 PM »
Oh, cool! I must've seen that a zillion times as my eyes slid over, completely disconnected from my brain. Thanks very much :)

Er.. Thanks for the warning. I think that immediate feature might be meant. You wouldn't, for instance, add a bunch of files to a project and then close/re-open it for them to be tagged.

hs2

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »
For the latter I posted s.th.here http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=264.0.
I'm eager to read what the Slickteam tells about it.
When I added my own macro there, the context (the dialog window and not the normally active editor) was  'wrong' for it and it crashed. I know the right solution is some more cond. checks in my macros ;)

HS2