Author Topic: feature proposal: list-clipboards  (Read 1898 times)

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 281
feature proposal: list-clipboards
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:04:45 pm »
What about to (vastly) improve 'list-clipboards' in a way that the curr. selected clipboard contents is displayed in the Preview TB ?
IMHO the 'View' button is rather clumsy and using the Preview TB would be perfectly consistent with the existing preview handling.
What do you think about it ?
HS2

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Re: feature proposal: list-clipboards
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:59:11 pm »
Interesting idea. I'll look into it. Some things to consider:
1) The List Clipboards dialog is not a tool window. I'm not sure if there are issues displaying from a modal dialog. Certainly there'd be an issue if the Preview tool window wasn't visible.
2) So far, I think the Preview tool window only displays files/buffers. We'll have to check if some of the options on the contents would be invalidated by displaying text that is not actually in a file/buffer.

It might just be easier to add a preview pane in that dialog. Would that satisfy?

hs2

• Hero Points: 281
Re: feature proposal: list-clipboards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:46:14 pm »
Hello Scott, thanks for taking care about it !

1) Yes - it's not a tool window but this doesn't prevent the usage of the Preview TB. E.g. I'm using it with a 'normal' dialog and even in the std. product the Preview TB is triggered when browsing 'Search Results' fed into the edit window (very useful !).
The behaviour if the Preview TB is not visible should be consistent to the other dialogs using it.
Maybe there could be an option: def_force_preview or sth. This would allow the user to adjust if the preview is automatically displayed if needed or just used if it's visible.
Currently some features/tool windows use it if it's visible but some others force it's activation even if it doesn't make sense. There are already a number of related posts/patches in the forums.
2) Right, the Preview TB needs to be extended to e.g. support temp. buffers

Curr. I'm sometimes using an adopted version of a quite old user macro, which already supported a preview pane.
Unfortunately it's lacking some other things so in fact I'm using 2 list-clipboard commands :(

However, an integrated preview pane e.g. below the selection list would be fine - maybe even better !
Would be nice if these add. requirements are taken into account:
- (whole) dialog should be resizeable
- splitter (list <-> preview pane) should be movable
- should allow to quickly goto the preview pane (edit control) to e.g. copy just a snippet of a displayed clip
- would be cool if the document/lang. mode is internally stored in the clipboard list that the preview pane could be colorized

Thanks,
HS2
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:51:59 pm by hs2 »