Author Topic: SlickEdit for Ubuntu Linux?  (Read 7144 times)

Obie

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit for Ubuntu Linux?
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:45:31 pm »
We recently changed over to Ubuntu 7.04. Is there a version of SlickEdit that works with Linux? If not, are there plans to develop it?

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 280
Re: SlickEdit for Ubuntu Linux?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:23:51 pm »
Have a look at http://www.slickedit.com/content/view/409/239 where all curr. supported platforms (incl. Linux) are listed.
HS2

Kohei

• Hero Points: 25
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 01:52:28 pm »
In fact SlickEdit, is probably one of the first commercial applications to be available on Linux before anybody even cared for Linux.  When was the first Linux version released?  1994?  :D

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 07:16:59 pm »
Hi,

I switched my main machine (an IBM/Lenovo laptop) from Windows XP to Ubuntu 7.x a few months ago. SlickEdit works great -- as with many applications it's easier and faster to use on Linux, if only because the directory structure is quicker to navigate.

The only real problem I had was that, with the original default desktop, SlickEdit screen paints were really slow. Oddly, it was the only application for which I noticed this problem. Then I switched to the Compiz Fusion 3D desktop, and now everything is really snappy. I would say this problem is likely to be caused by my specific hardware and drivers though. I'm assuming Compiz is engaging my video hardware effectively, while the default desktop wasn't.

If you're using Linux, try the 3D desktop! It looks amazing, and it performs surprisingly well, at least for me.

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

Kohei

• Hero Points: 25
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 04:00:04 am »
The only real problem I had was that, with the original default desktop, SlickEdit screen paints were really slow.

Yes, I notice this too, and also the flickering during windows resizing and moving.  It's probably because SlickEdit does repeated repainting during window resizing in response to the X-window server sending hundreds of paint request to SlickEdit.  Some X apps usually put those paint requests on queue, and only performs the last request to prevent flickering.  In the case of GTK or QT apps, the toolkits themselves take care of that, so the apps don't have to do it themselves.  Since most X apps these days use either GTK or QT toolkits, that explains why most other apps don't exhibit that problem.

Then I switched to the Compiz Fusion 3D desktop, and now everything is really snappy.

Yup, I've noticed that also.  It's really nice. :)  Compiz[1] (or maybe the Xgl[2] server backend that performs raw X11 drawing using OpenGL) seems to do the paint queue trick on the server side which nicely prevents the repainting problem of many pure X apps that don't perform the repainting workaround.  Not only that, things like font antialiasing and other 2D drawing operations are also hardware-accelerated, so (like you said) it makes more efficient use of your hardware.  3D desktop used to be only possible if you have either a nVidia or ATI videocard.   But recently, thanks to Intel developing a better video driver for on-board Intel graphic chips (which are common among business workstation machines), you can turn on 3D desktop even on on-board Intel video chips as well.

For those of you who haven't tried yet, go check it out!

Kohei

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xgl

livingintown

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:33:57 am »
You can disable animation tool windows option in toolbar customization. I disable it too even in windows.

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:04:14 am »
I'm using the latest Ubuntu with 5 year old hardware and a version of VSE a few years old.   No problems.   I'm using the default desktop for Ubuntu, save for color changes.

ronneseth

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:42:21 pm »

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy), and VS 9.0.  I cannot use Compiz because of a certain bug in the nVidia drivers or the X server (it intermittentlyfreezes the system completely). 

livingintown: What do you mean by "disable animation tool windows option in toolbar customization".  Does that stop the slow drawing?  How/where do I turn that off?

Thanks,
Andreas

hs2

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 02:37:37 am »
@hs2:

Do you have a SE macro that indexes the forum entries and retrieves them for you, or are you just really good at searching for them?  :-)

(Or maybe you simply memorize the URLs for each topic ... I believe you'd do that.)

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand

hs2

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:31 am »
 ;D
It's more like that:
(reading forum) .. toolbar .. animation - Ok, no problem. It's .. Stop: I've already posted / there was sth. related.
'Search' the forum in a new browser tab, 'Copy link location' of the hit, paste'n post - done.
HS2

ronneseth

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 10:44:26 pm »
Hi HS2,

Doesn't seem that VS 9.0 has that tab ... but thanks anyway!  Another reason to upgrade, yeah? :)

--Andreas