Author Topic: Defs Toolbar not reflecting file switching instantly  (Read 4382 times)

Ivan N. Zlatev

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Defs Toolbar not reflecting file switching instantly
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
I started using the Defs toolbar a *lot* to navigate the current class. I would love to have a quick search box like the one in File BTW. Anyway I am experiencing a slight annoyance that when I switch to a different file the Defs doesn't update and move to that file instantly. I end up clicking somewhere on the Defs toolbar and it updates instantly once I do. Is this a bug?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:07:06 AM by i-nZ »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Defs Toolbar not reflecting file switching instantly
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
The Defs tool window is designed to keep up with your code navigation, showing the symbols for the active file and reflecting the location of the cursor within the file. If you have to click on the Defs tool window to get it to sync with the current file, then this is a bug.

Please contact Product Support to report this issue by one of these methods:
• Send an e-mail to support@slickedit.com
• In SlickEdit, select Help > Contact Product Support

We will need the following information:
• A description of the problem.
• The language you are working in (C/C++, Java, …),
• SlickEdit program information. Select Help > About SlickEdit, then select the Program Information tab, press “Copy To Clipboard” and past the information in the problem report. This information is automatically sent if you use the in-product problem reporting mechanism.
• A code snippet to help us reproduce it (if possible).

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »
I think i-nZ is irritated by the (intentionally) delayed update of the toolbar(s).
@i-nZ: All toolbars are updated using (idle) timer callbacks. If they would be updated synchronously i.e. to each buffer switch/save etc. the responsiveness of SE would get worse dramatically.
HS2

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
If he has time to click on the Defs tab to force an update, then it is running much slower on his machine than on mine. For me, the Defs tab updates in less than a second. In most cases, the update is nearly instantaneous. Certainly, larger files will experience a slower response as the list is populated.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
Same for me (ca. 1s) - except if there is not enough idle time i.e. if i-nZ imm. starts scrolling/typing/whatever after switching to another buffer. So maybe he is surprised that even after (e.g. typing rapidly) 3 secs the Defs TB is still not updated ... who knows.
HS2