Author Topic: Available Features  (Read 6047 times)

incognito41

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Available Features
« on: August 16, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if my company can use slick edit.  Currently we are using another tool but we are trying to replace it and Slickedit is a possibility.  I'm trying to match up the requirements from the users of the tool.  Does anyone know if these features exist in Slickedit.  these requirements were what was provided by the tool users so I'm not completely sure what they all are.  thanks for the help.  I have filled in where i was able to find info from the site.  thanks.

•  unlimited open files
•  unlimited editing file size, 4KB line length                   - open files up to 2GB

•  syntax highlighting for:
      •   C/C++                                                             - yes
      •   Java                                                                 - yes
      •   Java Script                                                      - yes
      •   Visual Basic                                                    - yes
      •   Perl/CGI                                                          - Perl, no mention of CGI
      •   HTML                                                               - yes
      •   SQL                                                                 - yes
      •   Tcl/Tk                                                              - Tcl, no mention of TK
      •   XML                                                                 - yes
      Customize highlighting for any language (This is a mainly needed  feature)
•  file compare                                                               
•  export to HTML/RTF
•  code templates
•  commenting/uncommenting code
•  text sort
•  normal and columnar text selection
•  bookmarks
•  search and replace with regular expressions
•  search and replace text in all open files
•  incremental search with text emphasizing
•  C/Java-style block auto indent/outdent
•  Ability to plug in external compilers (This is a mainly needed  feature)

Lisa

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
  • User-friendly geek-speak translator extraordinaire
Re: Available Features
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 01:51:08 PM »
In reviewing your list, I think SlickEdit has most of the features you're looking for, except I'm not sure about "Export to HTML/RTF" and the syntax highlighting questions. I just wanted to point out that you can see some of these features in action from our SlickEdit Cool Features Web page: http://www.slickedit.com/content/view/353/217
Note that our file compare feature is called "DIFFzilla" in the Cool Features list.

Hopefully others will chime in with more detail for you.

- Lisa

PS. I also thought I would mention, if you haven't already, you could download a trial version and check out the documentation if you would like more detail on the features and capabilities.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 01:54:02 PM by Lisa »

Dswag89

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: Available Features
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if my company can use slick edit.  Currently we are using another tool but we are trying to replace it and Slickedit is a possibility.  I'm trying to match up the requirements from the users of the tool.  Does anyone know if these features exist in Slickedit.  these requirements were what was provided by the tool users so I'm not completely sure what they all are.  thanks for the help.  I have filled in where i was able to find info from the site.  thanks.

•  unlimited open files                                               - as far as I know... how many do you *really* want to open?
•  unlimited editing file size, 4KB line length                   - open files up to 2GB

•  syntax highlighting for:
      •   C/C++                                                             - yes
      •   Java                                                                 - yes
      •   Java Script                                                      - yes
      •   Visual Basic                                                    - yes
      •   Perl/CGI                                                          - Perl, no mention of CGI
      •   HTML                                                               - yes
      •   SQL                                                                 - yes
      •   Tcl/Tk                                                              - Tcl, no mention of TK
      •   XML                                                                 - yes
      Customize highlighting for any language (This is a mainly needed  feature)    - I think YES
•  file compare                                                            - Definitely!  Whole Directory compare... very powerful!   
•  export to HTML/RTF                                                  - ?
•  code templates                                                       - Yes
•  commenting/uncommenting code                                - Yes
•  text sort                                                                - Yes
•  normal and columnar text selection                             - Yes, very easy to do, not clunky at all
•  bookmarks                                                              - Yes
•  search and replace with regular expressions                  - Yes
•  search and replace text in all open files                        - Yes... and more!  Search and replace throughout project
•  incremental search with text emphasizing                      - ?
•  C/Java-style block auto indent/outdent                        - Yes
•  Ability to plug in external compilers (This is a mainly needed  feature)   - Yes