Author Topic: Search wrap  (Read 6129 times)

SeeCwriter

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Search wrap
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »
Is there a way to get rid of the annoying popup message that says your search has reached the end of the file, do you want to continue from the top? Checking the option "Wrap at beginning/end" in the Tools-->General--Search tab does nothing.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
Re: Search wrap
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:05 PM »
Did you 'fully' check the option ? It's tri-state (v12.0.3). Only If 'half' checked a msg box is displayed on wrap. HS2

SeeCwriter

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »
I've tried unchecked, checked, and a green box (whatever that is!) And it all works the same. I get a popup telling me I've reached the end of the file and do I want to continue from the top. Extremely annoying!!

hs2

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:22:17 PM »
Do you use the Find and Replace toolbar (note the specific 'Wrap' checkbox also there) or the commandline ? Which SE version ?
HS2

SeeCwriter

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:27:54 PM »
I use Ctrl+F I don't know about any commandline. I see that there is also a wrap option on the search dialog window. So if I set THAT one, it appears to work. Sheesh! 

Thanks.

hs2

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:45:51 PM »
Many things can be lauched from SEs comandline as almost every funtionality is a SE 'command'.
Have a look e.g. at the keybindings dialog to see all available commands. Most of them can be used on commandline. It's a very strong feature.
Regarding searching there are a number of useful commands not bound to a key by default.
E.g. quick-search/replace/highlight are some of my favourites
Normal 'search' can be done by just using '/<search-text>' or /<search-text>/options. Use 'help /' also on comandline for the details.
Commandline is usually activated by <ESC>. You can also add another shortcut bound to 'cmdline-toggle'.
HS2
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:48:08 PM by hs2 »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »
@SeeCwriter
The checkbox on that dialog is a three state checkbox, as hs2 has noted. Checked will wrap, uncheck will not wrap, and the green box is the middle state, which will prompt to wrap.

The checkbox only controls the initial state of the corresponding checkbox on the Find and Replace tool window, which comes up when you press Ctrl+F. If you change the value of the "Wrap at beginning/end" checkbox here, it overrides the behavior set in the options.

Perhaps the solution here is to have both of those controls reflect the same state. I'll talk to the team to see what they think. Let me know how you would like this to behave. Thanks for pointing this out and sorry for the confusion.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
OK, here's some more info on this. The Options settings control all of the searchs: incremental, command line, along with the Find and Replace dialog

The options in Tools > Options > Search are used the in the following places:
a)   The very first time the Search Options dialog pops, after that, dialog history takes over, unless:
i)   You set the Tools > Options > Search > Tool window option > Initialize with default options setting to True, then the options are reset to default every time it is brought up, or
ii)   You use the right-click context menu in the Find window to Use default options to reset to the defaults state.

b)   The default options are always applied when using Quick Search/Quick Replace command
c)   The default options are always applied when using Incremental Search command.
d)   The default options are applied to command-line searches (/ command) if you don’t specify options explicitly.
e)   The default options are applied to Selective Display commands when searching by text.

So we don't think most people would like it if the values set in the Find and Replace dialog changed how the others behaved. We're certainly open to feedback on how to make this more manageable.

hs2

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
@Scott: For those (like me) who are using various search facilities (tool win, cmdline, commands bound to keys) the behaviour is fine and should remain as it is.
I find it quite useful that the Search 'n Replace tool window is independent in a certain way from the global search/replace settings.
Just my 2ct, HS2