Author Topic: Mode shifting for un-assigned file types  (Read 9047 times)

selberg

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Mode shifting for un-assigned file types
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:31:59 PM »
Hi,

I've playing with Slickedit 10.0.3, and I've recently corrupted something which is driving me a bit crazy.  I have Slickedit in Emacs emulation mode.  When I open a file whose type is not configured (such as a file named README), I get dropped into a mode where the emacs key bindings don't work.  Using the file menu I can save and close the file.  When I get back to a file with a known extension, such as .pl, the key binding again start working.

I bumped into Scott W. at Linuxworld, and he recommended blowing away the configuration in My Slickedit Config.  I did so, and all I now get is an dialog box saying "Macro file vslick.sta not found".  Any advice on how to get Slickedit back and running?

-Scott

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 29
Re: Mode shifting for un-assigned file types
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »
1) Exit out of SlickEdit
2) RENAME the config directory and all other previous SlickEdit config directories (the location is listed in your Help-->About SlickEdit...  dialog) - this will be your backup config directory.  You may also need to rename all other SlickEdit config directories that you may have.  The default for Windows is C:\Documents and Settings\userName\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\
3) Restart SlickEdit (a new configuration will be created, putting you back into an out-of-box state)

selberg

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 08:31:38 PM »
I changed "My SlickEdit Config" to "My SlickEdit Config.old", and slickedit will not start with error "Macro file vslick.sta not found".

Any other suggestions?

-Scott

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 07:47:27 PM »
Hi Scott,

It was great talking with you at LinuxWorld! Sorry if my advice was unclear and led you to trouble. What we're trying to get you to do is to empty the contents of the version-named config directory. In my case, for version 10.0.3 that would be ".../My Document/My SlickEdit Config/10.0.3". Do this while SlickEdit is closed. When SlickEdit starts it will see the empty config directory and will create a default installation.  If you delete the 10.0.3 directory, SlickEdit will attempt to create a config based on a previous version. By renaming "My SlickEdit Config", I think SlickEdit will get quite confused. As always, make a backup of the config directory before you make any changes.

That should get you up and running. Let me know if you have any further issues.

--Scott

selberg

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »
Hi Scott,

Well, I can't get slickedit to run unless it can find the vslick.sta file.  I've tried removing:
   ...\My SlickEdit Config\10.0.3\*
   ...\My SlickEdit Config\*
   ...\My SlickEdit Config

In all three cases, SlickEdit failed to start because it couldn't find vslick.sta. 

In terms of the original problem, I'm noticing that the key bindings are reverting to default.  For example, I expect view buffers to be ctrl-X, ctrl-B; however, for file with an unknown extension Ctrl+Shift+B works.  I think the event which triggered this state has to do with loading XML files - probably XML files which don't fully comply with the XML specification.  I'm migrating to a new computer, so I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on a second computer.

-Scott

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »
That's very odd. I routinely delete my config as part of testing and I've never seen this situation. It sounds like your installation is really messed up. All I can suggest at this point is to uninstall and reinstall. If the 10.0.3 subdirectory does not exist, SlickEdit will attempt to create a config based on a previous config directory. To be sure there is no problem with copying from a previous config, be sure to rename you SlickEdit Config directory, ".../My SlickEdit Config". If you have the v9 config directory, ".../My Visual SlickEdit Config", be sure to rename it too. Maybe we're picking up a bad config from v9.

As for the key bindings problem, I wasn't able to reproduce this. It's hard to imagine how loading an XML file could alter your key bindings, but I've seen stranger stuff in my long experience. Let's try to get you running first, then see if we can reproduce the problem.

If you are not able to get running based on reinstalling, call SlickEdit and ask for me, Scott Westfall, and we'll work on this interactively.

--Scott

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 07:06:48 AM »

If you use the -x option to specify the state file when you invoke slickedit, you'll get the error message you mention "Macro file vslick.sta not found"  if that file doesn't exist, regardless of whether the config folder exists or not.

Graeme