Author Topic: Strange Window reordering mode  (Read 8032 times)

RA

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Strange Window reordering mode
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 10:07:31 am »
the problem is easily worked around

How ?

does not prevent you for getting things done.

On an average day I encounter this bug 50-60 times, opening and editing file is what I do for a living.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 409
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 05:17:32 pm »
As Graeme and Clark both discovered, the issue is only reproducable if you are using Ctrl+O to launch the File Open dialog.  Using any other technique (clicking the button on the standard toolbar, using the File menu, using File menu shortcuts (Alt+F, O), or using the "e" command from the command line [the fastest way to open files].  All of these things work around the bug.

This is a bug that has been lurking around as long as smart next window has been around.  I sympathize with your desire for an immediate fix, but with the next release of SlickEdit so close on the horizon, it's just not practical to bend over backwards to provide a hot fix.  There are much better things to invest the time in.

jbhurst

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 33
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 10:23:24 pm »
Hi Dennis,

I don't disagree with your assessment of the impact of this bug, but I am curious about your statement that "e" from the command line is the fastest way to open files.

To open a file using "e" you have to
1. Press Escape
2. Type "e"
3. Type a space
4. Type part of the file/path
5. Do something to complete the filename (usually press space)
6. Press Enter

To open a file using Ctrl+O you have to
1. Press Ctrl+O
2. Type part of the file/path
3. Do something to complete the filename
4. Press Enter.

Am I missing something? I use the command line a lot, but for opening files I usually use Ctrl+O rather than the "e" command. OK, I realize that the system has to display the dialog, but that doesn't seem to slow me down. Moreover, when I do need to navigate to a different directory, or say type a filter and choose from the resulting list, the dialog is better.

I also use the Files tool window all the time to open files that I know are in my project. I have many files and many directories, and this is much quicker usually than navigating to them.

Regards

John Hurst
Wellington, New Zealand