Author Topic: Put tag files for project in a different location?  (Read 11307 times)

Tim Keating

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Put tag files for project in a different location?
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:31:38 PM »
Hi, I have a project I'm accessing across a Samba share, and it's slower than death. I'd like to put the tag files on my local machine to speed up access. Anyone know if this is even possible? I haven't found any conclusive proof one way or another.

Tim Keating

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Put tag files for project in a different location?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »
Just do it ;)
And adjust you tagfile setup using the 'Tag files...' button of the 'Symbol toolbar'.
(There is also a context / tagfile.)

HS2

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »
The tag file for your workspace will always be located in your workspace directory. So, you can address this issue by defining a workspace on your local disk that references source files on your Samba share. Accessing the source files may still be slow, but tag look-ups will be much faster.

You can even leave the .prj files on the Samba drive and import them into the new workspace: Project > Workspace Properties, click the Add button and navigate to the .vpj file. You can define any number of workspaces that access the same projects. So, if you work on this code from multiple machines, define a workspace on each that references the centralized project and source files.

--Scott

hs2

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:28:23 PM »
Well, this just concerns the workspace tagfile(s).
Relocating other tagfiles requires some manual interaction in the Tag Files dialog (as described), right ?

HS2

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 10:11:19 PM »
All other tag files are stored in your config directory, in the "tagfiles" subdirectory. I don't think the Tag Files dialog provides a way to move them--if there is, I couldn't find it.  :)

If SlickEdit isn't installed on a local drive and you want to have your other tag files located locally, your best bet is to start SlickEdit with the "-sc" option and specify the location of the config directory, using a local directory.

Please let me know if I'm missing something. This is another part I want to get better documented in v12.

--Scott

hs2

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 11:20:06 PM »
??? Maybe we talk about diff. things...
What about 'Add Tag File ..." specifying a location of your choice ?

HS2

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »
Yes, you are right that you can use the Tag File dialog to add a tag file from an arbitrary location using the Add Tag File button. So, you can use the operating system to move a tag file to a new location and then use this dialog to add it.

Unfortunately, you can't do this with workspace tag files. When you click Add Tag File you are prompted for the source type, which is then used to reference the selected tag file. That will make these tags available to all workspaces using that language, so this approach should only be used with tag files for libraries used by a language. 

If the tag file you want to move is for your own source, you are much better off defining a workspace on the local drive as previously described.

--Scott

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
For projects created by Slickedit, I have used the solution to create the workspace file on my local drive and to include the project files from the shared drive.

However, this does not work if the workspace is a *.sln file created by Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.

I tried to create a workspace on my local drive, and to include the Visual Studio *.vcproj files, but it will only let me add *.vpj projects to the workspace.

Furthermore, I would like to use the *.sln file from my real Visual Studio project, since it contains dependencies, and goes into source control along with all the other files.  This file is designed to be in the same directory as all the other source files (on the shared drive).

The only workaround I see is to create a *.sln file on my local drive (using Visual Studio), and including *.vcproj from the shared drives.  However, this doesn't work well with source control, and it gets rid of having relative paths from the *.sln to the *.vcproj.

It would be extremely useful if it was possible to specify the directory where Slickedit will put the workspace tag file, especially if the workspace is a *.sln file.

Is there any other trick I may be missing?

Thanks,
Rob

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 09:14:07 PM »
When you open a Visual Studio solution file, under the covers, we create a corresponding ".vpw" file that points to the .sln file, what we call and "associated workspace" internally.  We also create a corresponding ".vpj" file that points out to the .vcproj file.

A workaround for your remote file problem is to copy the .vpw and .vpj to a local directory, and edit them, replacing the relative paths for the .sln and .vcproj with full paths to your those corresponding files on your remote file system.  Now, go to Project > Open, and open the .vpw file in your local directory.

The tag file and .vpwhist file will be located in the local directory alongside the vpw and vpj files.

Note: to get the build and compile commands to work, you may have to replace the workspace path escape sequence "%w" in the .vpj file with the (quoted) path to your visual studio solution file, since there appears to be a bug in 11.0.2 where this does not work correctly unless the workspace and solution file are in the same directory (as normally they are).  The %w bug will be fixed in the next major release of SlickEdit.