Author Topic: vsmktags: any way to pre-answer the 'Warning: A very large string .." question?  (Read 3157 times)

jbarriewalker

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Background: I had hoped it would be possible to run vsmktags completely without user interface as there seems to be no need for it.
Unfortunately the -mdihide flag that mkvstags passes to vs does "what it says on the tin", i.e. hides a completely unnecessary UI.

I asked this last year in a separate topic but no-one could help. I give in! I'll have to live with it.

But perhaps this smaller request is possible.

Frequently when running vsmktags I get a dialog box saying "Warning: A very large string of length 8115294 bytes about to be created." (The actual number varies).
I suppose this is ok if I'm around to answer it, but what I actually want to do is run it unattended as a cron-job (scheduled task for Windows aficionados).

It takes 15 minutes to run so I want on one person (me) in the project team to have to run it and I want it done before everyone comes into work.
I also want it to run successfully when I'm on holiday. If the question gets asked the job sits around for 2 weeks uncompleted till I get back.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Best regards

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 440
I can point you to a way around the very large string warning, but I'd like it if you could give us more information about why it is happening in the first place.  How many files are there in the workspace you are tagging?  Are there lots of missing files or files that fail to tag?  Do you get a Slick-C stack along with the warning, could you send that in to support?

Anyway the workaround is to increase the string length warning threshold, put the following code in a slick-c module (.e), then run it from the command line.

Code: [Select]
#include "slick.sh"
defmain()
{
   _default_option(VSOPTION_WARNING_STRING_LENGTH, 20000000);
}

jbarriewalker

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Thank you.
The number of files is currently 12286 but there doesn't need to be nearly that many to get the problem. It seems to be connected with java files, but that may be a red herring. There are no warnings about missing files or files failing to tag. Attached is what comes up on the console. I'm very happy to send mor if that's not enough. I'll also sent it to support.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 440
Thanks, having the Slick-C stack information made it trivial to find and fix the problem.  The 12.0.3 hot fix will be updated soon to include a fix.

BTW, the reason the problem surfaced in your case was your workspace contains a very large (probably > 1M) HTML file with embedded JavaScript or Java code.