Author Topic: WISH: Project background tagging  (Read 5913 times)

srouleau

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
WISH: Project background tagging
« on: August 19, 2006, 12:28:40 PM »
I'd been putting off creating a new project for the various branches of the source code I'm working with, simply because it takes too long to do the initial tagging.  (~17K files, ~3.5M LOC)

Well today I had to do it...  Takes maybe 10, 15 minutes, which ain't so bad I guess and makes me wish I'd started it during a lunch break or something, but when you're waiting for it to get some real work done, it's an eternity looking at that little progress bar (without a cancel button) go by. 

Maybe I'll feel better after my coffee.   :-\

Stephane

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Re: WISH: Project background tagging
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »
Tools->Options->Tagging Options has several background tagging settings; I suspect they don't apply to the initial tagging of a project, though, only to tagging of changed files.

srouleau

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 02:33:41 PM »
Correct, these appear to only apply to a project once the initial, and painful in my case, tagging has been done.

Steph

shadowbane

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 11:57:28 PM »
I'll second this request with a small addendum. 

I deal with VS2003&5 projects, and everytime I get changes from our SCC system or use VS to change the project files, I have to wait for slickedit to re-tag files because the project changed.  I assume this is pretty much the same situation as with a new project except that there is an existing tag file.  I'd rather just have the tags be missing/wrong while it works on re-tagging in the background, than have my work stopped while I wait.  Some kind of status bar notification that its tagging would be good.

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:07:27 AM »
Think it's a hard life for Slick doing project reated work w/o any project tag information.
So the initial tag setup is certainly needed, but this normally / hopefully happens once in a project's life.
There are some status messages in the status bar when re-tagging runs or pauses... if you don't do anything also (over-)writing status messages and/or interrupting idle state ;)
Just setup Slick to do retag on idle and wait...

HS2