Author Topic: How do I completely disable Auto Tagging in 11.0.2?  (Read 12367 times)

timur

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
How do I completely disable Auto Tagging in 11.0.2?
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »
I'm doing development on the Linux Kernel, and Slickedit has a number of problems when working on the kernel.  One problem in particular is that I need to disable the Auto Tagging feature.  That's because the Linux Kernel doesn't use anything in /usr/include.  Under Tools->Tag Files, I deleted everything under "Auto-Updated Tag Files" and "C COmpiler Configuration Tag Files".  There are two problems:

1) The "Automatic Tagging for Run-Time Libraries" dialog box always has "Create tag for file C++ run-time libraries" checkmarked.

2) Whenever I open a project and press Ctrl-., the "Building Tag File..." dialog box appears, and Slickedit tries to tag everything in /usr/include.

#1 doesn't bother me that much, but #2 really does annoy me.  How do I fix it?

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: How do I completely disable Auto Tagging in 11.0.2?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:02:10 PM »
Try this:

Go to the Auto Tag dialog, and click on the "Browse..."

Click on "Add..." and add a compiler configuration named "No Configuration".

Do not put in a header file.
Do not add any include directories.

Press Ok.

Either make "No Configuration" your default, or assign it as your default for the kernel project you are working on, by selecting "No Configuration" for your Compiler configuration in Project Properties... > Compile/Link tab.

timur

• Hero Points: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »
That worked!  Thanks a lot.  This should be a standard feature in SlickEdit.

dholshou

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
So, these directions work if you don't want those tag files globally, but picture this.
I work on multiple projects.
1) C based, but does NOT use MS Visual Studio. It's standalone code that doesn't use external libraries.
2) C++ based and DOES use MS Visual Studio.
3) C++ based and uses Tornado.

If I setup a "NoConfiguration" autotag option, all of my projects get those settings, and none of them can access the MS tagfile.
Ditto with each of the other combinations.
Is it possible to define tag files based on project?

Is development on multiple projects not allowed?

If I uncheck ALL autotag options, the tagfiles reappear in my list, and get tagged anyway.
It's as if 'no check marks' is not an option.
Is that true?

VSlick 12.0.2.0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 04:47:39 PM by dholshou »

Dennis

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
Am I missing something?  Just go to Project > Project properties > Compile/Link

1) C-based, set to NoConfiguration
2) C++ / Visual Studio, select the appropriate Visual Studio compiler tag file
3) C++ based / Tornado, set up a configuration for your compiler + tornado libs.

You can also use the Auto-updated tag files (Tools > Tag Files...) to associate auxilliary tag files with a workspace.

"autotag" is not a configuration dialog as much as it is a dialog for initially setting up your environment.  It's designed to do build the 3 selected tag files on the first time in after you install the editor so that you won't be waiting later when we need to the compiler tag file to complete a tagging operation.  The docs are pretty clear that all it does is build tag files, but who reads docs.  So, anyway, all that "no check marks" means is don't build the tag files right now.

dholshou

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:28:20 PM »
I've done that, but the (for instance) Java tag file keeps popping back up in the "Context Tagging - Tag Files" dialog and anytime I try to "go to definition" I get 14 choices from tagfiles I've removed from the current project.

Obviously the documentation doesn't describe how to configure this well enough for me to make the appropriate configuration changes.

Dennis

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
Do you have a mixture of C++ and Java source code in that project?  That could be a problem.

Otherwise, the Java tag files should not be involved in any of your tag searches.  Of course it will appear in the Tag Files dialog, but that lists all tag files, not just the ones for your current workspace.

dholshou

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »
Ok, I'm starting to understand.

Just because the tag file shows up in the tag file dialog for this workspace, it doesn't mean it's being used for this workspace... Hmmmm.

I used the Java reference as an example. Let me be more concrete.

Currently I'm trying to go to the definition of STATUS in the project that uses the "no" compiler.
STATUS is defined in the headers of all of the compiler possibilities.
It's also defined in my non-library project.

I have defined the compiler as "no" which should not include any other header directories.
That compiler is selected in the project properties dialog as the compiler under compile/link.
It contains no files or directories.

When I attempt to "go-to-definition" for STATUS it still pops up options from tornado2 in the "Select a tag" dialog (as well as the define in my code.)

I guess I'm confused by all of the entries in the tag-file properties for 'this' workspace and it don't know how to make the project properties only include one tag-file in the search for defintions.

Dennis

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »
Is the Tornado tag file one that you build and placed under "C" Tag Files?
If so then it will be used for all "C" code.  I would suggest removing it from there and making it an auto-updated tag file for the workspace(s) that use Tornado.

The set of tag files used by context tagging is as follows:

1) Your workspace tag file if the current file is the same language.
2) Any "auto-updated" tag files for your current workspace
    again, only if the current file is the same language.
3) The Language specific (extension specific in 12.0.2) tag files
    for the current file (see Tag Files dialog)
4) If the current file is C or ANSI-C, your "C" compiler tag file,
    using the setting in the project, (which can fall back to the default)
5) If the current file is Java, your "Java" compiler tag file,
    using the setting in the project, (which, again, can fall back to the default)

I know, it's complicated, somewhat more so that I would like, and ironically, all I ever get are more requests to make it even more complicated (per-project tag files, per-configuration tag files, tag files that only work on Tuesdays, tag files that rebuild when I get up to refill my coffee, you get the picture).

dholshou

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
Thanks SO much!
Now I finally have it setup correctly across multiple projects.