Author Topic: Closing automatically visited files  (Read 5047 times)

mrothman

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Closing automatically visited files
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:26 pm »
One of my favorite features in v11... except that it doesn't seem to be working for me.  It nicely prompted me when I navigated away from a file I hadn't edited, and I said yes.  That was a few weeks ago.  It occurred to me today that I haven't actually seen a reduction in the number of buffers I have open, so I did a simple experiment.  After first checking in the configuration menu that "Automatically close visited files" was on, I navigated to several (read-only) files in various ways (with tags; by opening them directly, etc).  They all appear to stay open in my buffer list indefinitely.  Is there some other option that might be overriding this?  When are the visited files supposed to close?  (I assumed that it was as soon as I navigated away from them).

I'm using v11.0.1 on both windows and linux - I see the same issue on both.

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
Re: Closing automatically visited files
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:58:05 pm »
This setting affects only the Ctrl-. -> Ctrl-, (goto tag -> go back)
But you can 'leave' visited files by using the quit macro (close file) bound to e.g. Ctrl--.
HS2

mrothman

• Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:28:22 pm »
Thanks hs2.  I could have sworn that using navigation by tags was having the same problem, but now that I tested using ONLY that form of navigation, it seems fine.  SInce that's the main way I navigate around anyway, that's fine with me.  Thanks for the tip!

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:59:48 pm »
Using find-next/find-prev keys to navigate references and search results will close visited files as needed, as do using keyboard or mouse to open the results directly from references and search results tool windows.  Also note that visited files do not close automatically if you make modifications to it.

Be aware that there are a few conditions that are not handled correctly in the 11.0.1 (search results navigation has a few issues), we hope to address those in future releases.