Author Topic: Macintosh open does not open anything  (Read 1857 times)

PepeChulin

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -5
Macintosh open does not open anything
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:52:49 pm »
On a Mac try this:

1) Right click a file icon on your desktop
2) Select Open With
3) Choose Other...
4) Navigate to SlickEdit and select it
5) Watch nothing happen

Or this:

1) Right click a file icon on your desktop
2) Select Get Info
3) Under Open with: choose SlickEdit
4) Close the Get Info window
5) In Terminal type "open <name of file>"
6) Watch nothing happen

Is making an editor that can open files using normal system processes difficult?

I mean, an editor that can only open files using its own menu? Really? Is this what slick is?

This combined with SlickEdit's lack of support for my Spanish keyboard is starting to turn me against SlickEdit.

PepeChulin

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -5
Re: Macintosh open does not open anything
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:58:56 am »
I've discovered something interesting about this problem. Opening a file with one of the techniques I mentioned does in fact open the file. However, it always opens a new instance of SlickEdit, but in a very non-obvious way. It opens the new instance without bringing the window to the front our giving you any visual cue that the file and new SlickEdit instance has been launched. On a Macintosh opening a file with an application that is already open does not create a new instance of the app. It tells the running app to open the file.

Would it be possible to make SlickEdit act more like a normal application? Also, it's not just a violation of normalcy. It violates what I want and expect will happen. I don't want a new instance of SlickEdit for every file I open, and I'd be willing to bet that no one else does, either.