Author Topic: Remove Tag file Option, Appears Broken  (Read 7067 times)

lwaynej

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Remove Tag file Option, Appears Broken
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »
In the ongoing saga of Slickedit replacing my typing with semi-random crap from the tag files, I tried to remove some tag files that I don't really use. For example I have Cygwin installed on my computer. I rarely use the compiler so I went to Tools->Tag files and selected the cygwin tag file. I then selected "Remove Tag File". I was asked if I wanted to remove it completely, I do, so I said yes. The tag file is removed; HOWEVER, the next time that SlickEdit needs to access tags it adds the Cygwin headers back in and rebuilds the tag file.

If "remove tag file" is not the correct way to remove tag files then what is? If it is the correct way, how do I get it to work.

This happens in 12.0.3 and in 13.0.0 beta 2.

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: Remove Tag file Option, Appears Broken
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
I see the same behavior in 12.0.3 on several Windows installs.  I haven't tried it on Linux yet.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »
I'm not 100% sure if it helps but try to remove the associated compiler e.g. directly in <config>/compilers.xml.
HS2

lwaynej

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
I think I figured out how to fix this. After removing the Cygwin headers I did a "Auto Tag" and that seems to have fixed the problem.

This must be a bug. Whatever really removed it should be done when the remove option is selected...

lwaynej

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »
Actually, rebuilding the tags did not fix the problem. It seems semi-random sometimes when the tags are accessed it wants to rebuild the cygwin tags.

Ding Zhaojie

• Hero Points: 37
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 07:41:40 AM »
You can remove all source files in the tag file, then rebuild the tag file. So you got a empty tag file, it will not bother you again. But the tag file still exists, SE will never make a new one for you :D

I use this way to get rid of the annoying auto tag since SE v10.