Author Topic: Unable to Enable Java Live Errors in 12.0.3 for Windows  (Read 5197 times)

jmweaver

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Unable to Enable Java Live Errors in 12.0.3 for Windows
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
I set up a simple Java project to try to get this working, but I keep getting errors from the Java Options screen.  The error I am getting is "Path to JDK 1.6 or later must be valid in order to use Live Errors".  I downloaded a fresh JDK and have double-checked the paths, and can't find anything I'm doing wrong.

Also, does anyone know where these values are stored?  I see what looks like default values in vuserdefs.e, but I assume this is not where the final values are stored since they seem to be per-configuration (which I suppose means they're per-project as well), but I could not find anything in the project directory.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Unable to Enable Java Live Errors in 12.0.3 for Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 02:39:26 PM »
Just off the top of my head here, but you might try quotes around the path.

Jim

jmweaver

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:46:39 PM »
Quotes/no quotes didn't seem to make a difference, but I think I found the problem while testing it.  I got it to work by entering just the JDK path and leaving Live Errors disabled, hitting ok, then going back into the options a second time and enabling the options, then hitting ok again.  So thanks for the suggestion!

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
Shouldn't be a "path with spaces" problem...I just installed the same Java 6 update to that same directory and Live Errors worked for me with an un-quoted path.

Looking through the code, it looks like this error is thrown for 2 reasons:

• Something is missing from the JDK installation.  The code will check for a valid directory, the javac executable, the jre directory, and jvm.dll.
  • SlickEdit isn't able to shell the java executable in your JDK installation to check the version.

We can check which one it is by adding some debug.  Backup your installed version of javaopts.e in your macros directory, then save and load the attached version.  Now go back to the Java Options dialog and try to enable live errors.  You will get a pop-up window that has 2 output values, one is just a return code and the other should be a string representing the version of your jdk.

If the return code is not 0 then it's the first problem.  If the version string is blank or not right, then it's the second problem.  If you can report the output back to me we can go from there, but if you want to do some preliminary stuff you can verify that all the necessary components of your JDK installation are present (as described above), and that you have permission to execute java.exe in that directory.

Let me know what you find...thanks.

- Ryan

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »
Hmm...apparently you got it sorted out in the same time it took me to write that wonderful post.  Well, glad you got it going  :P.

- Ryan