Author Topic: SlickEdit 2008 Install Issues - Still identifies itself as beta version  (Read 7615 times)

tuchman

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
I just installed VSE 2008 (se_13000000_win_full.msi) as follows:

1) Renamed my 2008 beta directory for safe keeping.
2) Installed se_13000000_win_full.msi into the "old" directory.

The installation went mostly well, except:

1) VSE complained about my missing personal compiled macro file (it wasn't there, so I simply added it and reloaded).
2) The icons for custom tool buttons are also missing, but I can fix that.
3) VSE still shows beta version information

Should I uninstall everything and start from scratch, or is there something else I should try?

About...
SlickEdit Version 13.0.0.0
Serial number: EE_BETA
Licensed to: SERIAL:EE_BETA|LICTYPE:BTA
Licensed number of users: Beta License
License expiration: 06-May-2008

Build Date: March 26, 2008
Emulation: CUA

Version: 5.00.2195  Service Pack 4

Installation Directory: C:\bin\vse2008\ (non-removable drive,NTFS)
Configuration Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\13.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS)

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
It looks like the installation and everything is just fine. The build date reflects the release build of SlickEdit 2008. The things that say "beta" are license information, not version information related to the install. SlickEdit is still finding the beta license you used since that is still valid.

To avoid any warnings about your license expiring, you can switch over to the SlickEdit 2008 license:
1) If you used activation to validate your beta license, run SlickEdit and select Help > License Manager. Then select the option to "Deactivate a license". Once that is complete relaunch this dialog or rerun SlickEdit (which should bring it up automatically since SlickEdit shouldn't find a license) and select "Enter a license key". Or you can validate the full version using a license file if you prefer.

2) If you used a license file to validate your beta license, delete the license file or rename it. Flex stores a license path where it previously found a good license, so even if you have placed the license file for the full version in the config directory or the win directory, it will continue to access this previously used license file. Once that file expires, it will look in the normal places to find the new license file.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any problems.

tuchman

After "run SlickEdit and select Help > License Manager. Then select the option to "Deactivate a license" I got the following error message:

Invalid fulfillment ID: FID_1637dfde_117d1428923__7f30 [Incident#8614-683613] Error Code: 1

Then I selected the "enter a license key" and it seems to have worked.  I did not got on to register the product from within  VSE, as this seems to always hang for me.  Instead I went online to my registered products page where I saw that 2007 was replaced by 2008.  I clicked on the 2008 link, and then the server returned:

"Mambo Slickedit,  This site is temporarily unavailable. Please notify the System Administrator".

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
Yes, that makes sense, sorry. The beta keys have been invalidated so that they cannot be used for any more activations, which also means they can't be used for deactivations. That's part of our process when we roll out a release. Even though the activation succeeded, SlickEdit may still reference the beta license, since it was used first. So you may still get timeout warnings.

To avoid that, you can delete the beta activation using the vsact utility in the flex subdirectory of your SlickEdit installation. To do this:
1) Open a command window.
2) CD to the flex subdirectory.
3) Enter: "vsact list" to get a list of the activations.
4) Copy the license key for the beta activation.
5) Enter: "vsact delete <license key>", where "<license key>" is the license key copied in step 4. It may be faster to just type this in given the archaic copy and paste mechanism in the Windows command shell.

tuchman

"vsact list" returned both beta and maint. keys.  Although things seemed to be working OK with two keys, I deleted the beta key using the method you described.  Thanks for the quick response!