Author Topic: Fontcofig warning messages  (Read 8198 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 470
Fontcofig warning messages
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:29:52 pm »
When you run "vs" or "vsdiff", the following messages are likely written to standard error:

Fontconfig warning: line 32: unknown element "cachedir"
Fontconfig warning: line 33: unknown element "cachedir"

These messages are due to the fact that "vs" is linked statically to the XFT libraries.  The XFT libraries are not yet LSB compliant so we've being linking statically. 

Starting with SlickEdit v13, we ship two executables,"vs_fileonly" and "vs_sharedxft" which are linked shared to the XFT libraries.  These executables won't display these messages. Since "vsdiff" runs "vs", you need to rename/copy either "vs_sharedxft" or "vs_fileonly" as "vs". Otherwise, you will still see the fontconfig warning messages.

In the future, we expect to link "vs" shared to the XFT libraries but we have not yet decided when.

Kohei

• Hero Points: 25
Re: Fontcofig warning messages
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:34:58 pm »
Thank you Clark!  I'm using it on openSUSE 10.3, and SlickEdit's startup speed is noticeably faster (I mean, really faster as in it flies open) & the font looks awesome! :)  It initially complained about not finding libexpat.so.0 because my system only had libexpat.so, but a simple symlink fixed it.

Kohei

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 470
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 01:47:33 pm »
Glad to hear it's working!  I'm surprised startup speed got faster, but that's great too.

weishigoname

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 01:08:08 pm »
When you run "vs" or "vsdiff", the following messages are likely written to standard error:

Fontconfig warning: line 32: unknown element "cachedir"
Fontconfig warning: line 33: unknown element "cachedir"

These messages are due to the fact that "vs" is linked statically to the XFT libraries.  The XFT libraries are not yet LSB compliant so we've being linking statically. 

Starting with SlickEdit v13, we ship two executables,"vs_fileonly" and "vs_sharedxft" which are linked shared to the XFT libraries.  These executables won't display these messages. Since "vsdiff" runs "vs", you need to rename/copy either "vs_sharedxft" or "vs_fileonly" as "vs". Otherwise, you will still see the fontconfig warning messages.

In the future, we expect to link "vs" shared to the XFT libraries but we have not yet decided when.

I am using slickedit 2009 in Ubuntu 9.04, and meet this problem too.but I can not find vs_fileonly and vs_sharexft,where are they?

David_O

• Hero Points: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:11:32 pm »
SlickEdit 2009 (linux version) now only ships with the executables "vs" and "vs_sharedxft".  "vs_fileonly" is no longer needed as the main executable, "vs", is now using only file based licensing.  The "vs_sharedxft" executable should be in the same directory as "vs".  Look in <install_dir>/bin/vs_sharedxft.

-David-