Author Topic: segfault in vs 2008 demo  (Read 26795 times)

chris_d

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: segfault in vs 2008 demo
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »
Concurrent licensing works for Ubuntu 64-bit and Gentoo 64-bit.  On the client side, you need to use "vs_fileonly".
OK, cheers. And is it possible to run the trial version with "vs_fileonly"? I couldn't seem to find a way of getting a file-based demo license. I've run the slickedit 2008 demo on windows but would need to see it in action on a project on Ubuntu 64bit to be completely convinced.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:37:01 AM by chris_d »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »
Our website doesn't support getting a file based license for a trial.  Keep in mind that the only reason we ship "vs_fileonly" with SlickEdit is for supporting Ubuntu 64 bit, Gentoo 64-bit, and possibly other 64 bit OSes.  The majority of our testing of "vs_fileonly" was done with Ubuntu 64-bit.

bix

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -4
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »
I'm also using gentoo64.

Is my understanding correct that the "file only" version only supports the file license key?  And, if so, does that mean that there's no way for me to test out the linux version of slickedit on my machine without a file license?

Thanks in advance!

Ps:  I have a dual boot machine and I frequently use the windows version of slickedit.  However, my work has shifted from windows to linux and as such I really do need a solution on the linux side of things so I'm not constantly rebooting.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »
The difference with file based licensing is that you need get a license file and put it in the SlickEdit bin directory.  When you start the editor and the product has not been licensed, the license manager dialog is displayed.  Select "Download a Full License file" and it will walk you through what to do.

dameiss

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
Running SE 2008 on Gentoo 64-bit (and fully licensed), I get a segfault with vs, vs_fileonly, and vs_sharedxft. I have the license file in both /opt/slickedit_13/bin and ~/.slickedit/13.0.0. I have a symlink for /usr/lib32/libexpat.so.0 pointing to /usr/lib32/libexpat.so.1.5.2. As far as I know, I've done all the things that others have suggested or indicated worked for them.

At this point, SE2008 on Linux is completely unusable for me. Any other suggestions?

natros

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 02:14:58 PM »
check the license file(/opt/slickedit/bin/slickedit.lic) permissions. i had a similar problem. the file had wrong permissons that prevented the current user from reading it causing slickedit to trigger the license manager and crash.

dameiss

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
Found the problem. I reinstalled SE and removed my ~/.slickedit/13.0.0 directory. Ran vs, and got the license failure window. And I noticed the window indicated it couldn't find the license file in /opt/slickedit.

I installed in /opt/slickedit_13 (paranoia on my part - I always install into /opt/slickedit_## for each version). When I renamed /opt/slickedit_13 to /opt/slickedit, everything worked correctly.

So there is apparently a hard-coded path somewhere in the license code, looking for /opt/slickedit. Interestingly, even when I put the license file in ~/.slickedit/13.0.0, all 3 executables (vs, vs_fileonly, vs_sharedxft) segfaulted.

gdayton

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 11:37:31 PM »
I stuck using Fedora Core 6 and I too have been suffering SIGSEGVs.  My version of of libexpat is back revved quite a bit: /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.2.  Adding a symlink
Code: [Select]
cd /usr/lib
ln  ../../lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0 libexpat.so.0
did not seem to help (in constrast to other posters).

Adding the Slickedit unicode fonts directory to the font path avoided the SIGSEGV, but now the application hangs.  To add a directory to the font path do the following:

Code: [Select]
xset fp+ /opt/slickedit/unicode/xfonts
xset fp rehash

Right now I'm experimenting with with invoking vs with the LINUX only command line option -suxft.  The resulting fonts are really ugly so I customized my font selection.

My co-workers who use Slickedit do not suffer SIGSEGV, but they've already customized their fonts. 

bix

• Community Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »
Our website doesn't support getting a file based license for a trial.  Keep in mind that the only reason we ship "vs_fileonly" with SlickEdit is for supporting Ubuntu 64 bit, Gentoo 64-bit, and possibly other 64 bit OSes.  The majority of our testing of "vs_fileonly" was done with Ubuntu 64-bit.

and

The difference with file based licensing is that you need get a license file and put it in the SlickEdit bin directory.  When you start the editor and the product has not been licensed, the license manager dialog is displayed.  Select "Download a Full License file" and it will walk you through what to do.

Am I misunderstanding these or do they contradict each other?  I'm unable to obtain a license file from the website.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »
If you have a trial, you can't get a license file. Otherwise, do the following:

Login to the slickedit website (not the forum).  If you don't already have a user name and password, you will need to create one.

Select the "Registered Products" link on the right of the page.

If your product is not already register, select "Click here to register additional products" and enter your license key.

Select your register product from the list.  For example "SlickEdit 2008 Upgrade for Windows & Linux Bundle".

The next page display should show a line like the folowing:

License File (optional): View Instructions

Select "View Instructions" and the next page will have a "download" link.

Hope this helps
Clark

bix

• Community Member
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 01:18:52 AM »
If you have a trial, you can't get a license file.

Hope this helps
Clark

Unfortunately, it does not.  I wanted to evaluate the trial version for linux as I already have been using the windows version for about 9 years and it is an excellent windows product.  However, because of the segmentation fault in the standard vs, my only option is to run the file-only version.  As a note, myk_taylor's posting really helped me get through just starting the system as it did not work out of the box.  However, you do not supply the file for the file version, making it impossible to properly evaluate the trial version under linux on my box.  The mere fact that I cannot run the standard version of vs under linux without a segmentation fault makes me leary.  The fact that I cannot test it at all is a deal-breaker for me for purchasing.

That said, thank you for your responses because they do clear some things up even with the problems I've had.

bennyhill

• Hero Points: 1
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
I just downloaded the 2008 demo and installed it on my fresh Kubuntu 8.04 (32-bit) system - I get the fontconfig warning that myk_taylor mentions in the first post.

Like bix, the fact that I cannot test the product is a deal-breaker.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
You can get a license file for using the trial by contacting SlickEdit sales. Some platforms have problems with the activation libraries, so we built the file only executable.

myk_taylor

• Community Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »
I just wanted to say that SlickEdit v.11, named license (which runs fine on my system) also gets the fontconfig warning on my system.  It seems that particular message is innocuous.