Author Topic: Searching in VS2008  (Read 3932 times)

Christoph

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Searching in VS2008
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »
I just recently upgraded from VSE9 to SE2008 and on the whole, I must say that I'm very pleased with the new version. 

That having been said, I'm having a few issues with searching.  In 9.x, the results would display in a new dialog that would open up for that purpose.  However, in 2008, no matter what combination of options I select, no new dialog opens.  To initiate the search, I press CTRL-F.  From there, I've tried:

1) Look in all buffers.
Previously, this alone would cause the dialog to open.  But now it just allows you to traverse the results using F3

2) Look in all buffers, List all occurrences, Search Results Window "Search <0>"
Nothing seems to happen when I do this.  I do see a message in the status bar that says 'List all, 'search term', <All Buffers> found X occurrences".  No window or list opens.  I've tried changing the option for Search Results Window but that doesn't seem to do anything, not even "<New>".  I have noticed that the additional window names have appeared in my select list (it started out with just "Search <0>" and "Search <1>", but now as up to "Search <4>") but that's about it.

3) Look in all buffers, List all occurrences, Search Results Window "Search <0>", Output to editor window
This is the only time a result list actually appears.  But it does so, understandably, as a new file/tab in my editor window.

I've minimized all my other applications to see if perhaps a search window/result list popped up somewhere but alas, it did not.  What am I doing wrong?  Why can't I get my search results to appear in a new window?

thnx,
Christoph

rh

Re: Searching in VS2008
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:07:49 PM »
Works for me.  No popup window, it just ends up in the search results window/tab.  Is View->Toolbars->Search Results checked?

Christoph

Re: Searching in VS2008
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:12:43 PM »
Works for me.  No popup window, it just ends up in the search results window/tab.  Is View->Toolbars->Search Results checked?

Nope, it sure wasn't.  You know what's really sad?  I was explicitly looking for such a toolbar and I must have skimmed right over it. :|

Thank you very much for your reply!

thnx,
Christoph