Author Topic: Feature Request: don't scroll on loss of focus  (Read 8728 times)

cdash

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Feature Request: don't scroll on loss of focus
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
In the 2008 beta forum, it was suggested an option be added to change SlickEdit's default behavior of scrolling the screen upon loss of focus: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3082.msg12661#msg12661

From the post, it wasn't clear SlickEdit Team Members understood the request or could duplicate what members were talking about.  Did this get added to 2008?  If not, I'd like to renew this feature request.

Thanks.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Feature Request: don't scroll on loss of focus
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »
The File Tabs tool window currently exits scroll mode when you click on a tab to activate a different file.  Exiting scroll mode means that SlickEdit reverts back to the scroll position before you scrolled with the mouse wheel or scroll bars.  I have put in a fix for this but it won't be available until 3.0.1.  I hope this isn't too confusion.

cdash

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:16:44 PM »
Clark:

The issue I'm describing doesn't seem to change depending upon the File Tabs tool. To reproduce:

- Open a file that is much larger than the viewable area.
- Move the cursor to the middle of the screen
- Using only the vertical scroll-bar, scroll the file such that the line where the cursor was is off screen
- Switch focus to another application
At this point, SlickEdit has "snapped" it's edit window back so that the line with the cursor is viewable.  This is independent of whether the File Tabs tool is active.

What I'm asking for is that SlickEdit leave the scrolling alone when I switch focus to another app so that what I was looking at in the SlickEdit window is still there.  Even better would be for it to leave the scrolling alone with switching buffers too.

This has been SlickEdit's behavior ever since I can remember (V7).

Are we talking the same thing?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »
I have not been able to reproduce this problem with the above steps.  After using the vertical scroll bar switching apps does not change my scroll position.  I tried a couple different configurations.  Can you reproduce this problem with the default config? 

cdash

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »
Thanks Clark.

I was able to track this behavior down to: Save files on loss of focus = true
Enable that and see if you can reproduce.

Also, since you asked me to try with a new config, I had to look up in the help what the command line option was.  It took me forever, since I looked in the Help for thinks like "Command Line", "Startup", "Options"... even "argv"!!  Turns out command line help switches are found in the help through: "Invocation Options" index! How about adding a few other keywords to the index??

Lisa

• Hero Points: 24
  • User-friendly geek-speak translator extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »
Also, since you asked me to try with a new config, I had to look up in the help what the command line option was.  It took me forever, since I looked in the Help for thinks like "Command Line", "Startup", "Options"... even "argv"!!  Turns out command line help switches are found in the help through: "Invocation Options" index! How about adding a few other keywords to the index??

Hi cdash. We'd love to add better index markers to help find our options better and are always up for suggestions (see my signature). However, "Command Line" is indexed already to the topic about using the SlickEdit command line. "Options" is too generic a keyword for this. There is already an index marker called "starting SlickEdit" and in the second paragraph of that topic is the link to Invocation Options. I'm thinking we could add "new config" or "default config" -- would you have thought to use those, or do you have better suggestions?

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
I also can't remember 'Invocation options'and the options itself...
In the past I also wasted time searching for this topic. But since a while I just use 'Help>Search: -sc'.
The resulting list is short and 'Invocation options' is included :)
HS2

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:02:25 PM »
It seems like you have to have to turn on "Save files on loss of focus" and you need to be in an emulation which turns off "One file per window" (that's the old option name).   Unfortunately, the fix I put in does not effect this.

acgattegno

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
cdash,

I, too, find this massively annoying.  The workaround I (continue to try to remember to) use is to click once in the window before tabbing out.  Moving the current line prevents the scroll from happening.

This is most irritating when I have SE up on one monitor and MSDN up on the other, and I'm trying to figure something out while working with the reference.  Each time I hyperlink through the reference text, I lose the code I'd scrolled to.

cdash

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
Yea, that's what I do too.

It seems like you have to have to turn on "Save files on loss of focus" and you need to be in an emulation which turns off "One file per window" (that's the old option name).   Unfortunately, the fix I put in does not effect this.

Can a SlickEdit team member please add this feature request?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »
I'll make sure there is a request filed for this.  This issue occurs with the "save_all" command as well.