Author Topic: Rebuilding project tag files  (Read 6485 times)

Ian P

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Rebuilding project tag files
« on: April 10, 2008, 06:15:36 pm »
Hi,

I'm using SE 2007 with multiple projects, some of which are editing files on a SAMBA share over the network, and for those I have the project tag files stored with the project files on the SAMBA share. Well occasionally the SAMBA share will become unavailable due to network problems, and when that happens SlickEdit reports that it needs to rebuild the tag file, and goes ahead to try to do so, which fails. So firstly it would be good if it asked whether to do this so that I could tell it to not do so and instead to wait until the files become available again.

But the bigger problem is that after this has happened the project tag file is no longer working. If I click on a name and select "Go to definition of ..." it reports "Tag ... not found. You may want to rebuild the tag file". And the problem is that I can't find any way to do that.

In the Tools, Tag files menu I see the tag files for the compiler etc., but not those for the projects. In the project properties there is no obvious way that I can see to trigger a tag file rebuild. And I can't find anything in the help on rebuilding project tag files - the "Building and Managing Tag Files" sections talks about compiler tag files etc. but not the project tag files.

I've had this happen a few times and it would eventually clear up and start working again, so I assume that there is some sort of scheduled tag file rebuild that happens, but until then I'm stuck with losing this functionality.

Ian

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: Rebuilding project tag files
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:31:45 pm »
IF you can still read the workspace file, you can right click on the workspace object in the Projects window, and select Retag Workspace.  Not sure if that's what you need, but that's how you rebuild your tag file.

Ian P

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:16:23 pm »
Yes, that worked. Thanks. It would probably be good if this was mentioned in the help - even now, searching help for "retag" I can't find anything in there to tell me that I can do this via the Project window.

Which just leaves the suggestion that it would be nice if it could say something like "the tag file is not available, do you want it rebuilt" rather than just trying to do it regardless.

Ian

Lisa

• Hero Points: 23
  • User-friendly geek-speak translator extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:46:43 pm »
Yes, that worked. Thanks. It would probably be good if this was mentioned in the help - even now, searching help for "retag" I can't find anything in there to tell me that I can do this via the Project window.

You are right - I don't believe this is documented. I'll file a report to add this information to the docs. Thanks for the index marker tip too.

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:56:39 pm »
But 'Tools>Tag Files' is documented.
Just select the tag file you'd like to rebuild, generate references and/or select some of the contained and listed source files and do 'Retag Src. Files'.
HS2

Ian P

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:56:48 pm »
But as I pointed out in my first post, the tag file that actually needs to be rebuilt, the project tag file, is not included in the Tools > Tag Files dialog. Somewhere in the help I did see a screenshot of the Tools > Tag Files dialog that did seem to include some project tag files, but in my case they are not in there.

Ian

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:32:35 am »
??? That's strange. Usually this is auto-added by SE when setting up a workspace.
You could try to add the workspace tagfile manually (r-click the 'Workspace Tag File' node and 'Add').
If you get it managed to re-add it there I think it'll be auto-updated by SE again.
Good luck,
HS2

Ian P

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 12:10:04 am »
I just did a quick test and it turns out that the workspace tag file disappears from the Tools > Tag Files dialog when the project's .vpj file becomes unavailable due to the network drive its located on getting disconnected. Even after the drive has come back online, the workspace tag file is still missing from the Tools > Tag Files dialog. However, if I close and then reopen the workspace it is now again shown in there.

And to clarify something that I said wrong in my original post, I said that I have the project tag files stored on the drive that became unavailable. I actually only have the project .vpj file stored on that drive - the tag files themselves are stored with the workspace files on my local drive.